Unable connect server

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Unable connect server

Post by ChrisGreaves »

This is very low priority today; I have plenty of other stuff to be getting on with.
Today I installed (Win7) Everything 1.5.0.1337a(x64) and read about "Connect to ETP Server".
Frankly, this sounds to good to be true.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (39.07 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
I grabbed my host, username, and password from my local text file which daily establishes contact with my web hosting service "HostGator" and received the error message shown above.

So, prowl the board and see much discussion, but now a thought crosses my mind:-

Can Everything 1.5 gain access to a high-profile public server/service such as HostGator, or is Hostgator likely to try to deny such connections?

I have a Word/VBA application which regularly compiles web pages and FTP-Uploads them to the web, so I know that both FileZilla works and as well my humble VBA is able to upload (and download) files programmatically.

As a beginner user I rang a few changes on the four Link Types, tried ports of "21", "2121", "5485" and even "" which is what I see in FileZilla's connection pane.
I believe that my hostname, username, and password are correct because they are stored (a) in a passwords document and (b) also in my WbWrd.INI file and (c) also in the FileZilla Connection settings.

This is very low priority today; I have plenty of other stuff to be getting on with. More than anything I was in my childlike way a tad freaked out at this extension of Everything's ability.

Can Everything 1.5 gain access to a high-profile public server/service such as HostGator? Or when we talk about "servers" are we talking only about servers local to our office environment?
Thanks, Chris
froggie

Re: Unable connect server

Post by froggie »

The ETP server is an Everything server -- accessed by an Everything client. Not a general server.

https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/etp/
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

froggie wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:30 pm The ETP server is an Everything server -- accessed by an Everything client. Not a general server.
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/etp/
Thanks for the response, froggie.
If I understand this, I would set up an Everything Server on this laptop, and then I would be able to access this laptop system from a remote laptop.

For example, my pal Roland (on the other side of town) could use his laptop (running Everything) to tap into my laptop, using Everything at both ends, and could make use of my files?

If so this sounds like the days (early 1990s) when i set up a DOS BBS at home so that I could grab some of my own files when I was away at a client site.
Thanks, Chris
froggie

Post by froggie »

Not quite. This is not file sharing. He could get a list of your files, properties, etc. Everything does not provide file access.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

I haven't played with Everything's server, but providing file download access would be pretty swell. Even if it's redirected to a web browser or external download manager.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

froggie wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:52 pm Not quite. This is not file sharing. He could get a list of your files, properties, etc. Everything does not provide file access.
OK. Thanks froggie.
So roughly speaking, only the Result List is available through the Everything server.
The real danger would be in an unauthorized user seeing that I had a file labelled "Plans for <your favorite crime here> next Thursday" or similar.
Thanks, Chris
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

raccoon wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:00 am I haven't played with Everything's server, but providing file download access would be pretty swell. Even if it's redirected to a web browser or external download manager.
Froggie, I gather from this wiki that files can be downloaded:-
HTTPServer_04.png
HTTPServer_04.png (36.52 KiB) Viewed 1012 times
I am in a state of confusion right now because I posed this question about four months ago and am only now getting around to learning-by-using.
Cheers, Chris