Everything_user.ini

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
therube

Everything_user.ini

Post by therube »

Everything_user.ini

Oh, I don't know, something like a "Everything_user.ini" or an export to a "clean" .ini such that it would be subset of current settings, something that a set of settings can be transported, moved, used with differing profiles, users, machines - without machine specific specific settings?

Like what a User.js file does in Mozilla browsers.

IOW, I have a set of preferences that I like to make, & I'd like to easily be able to apply those particular preferences to other Everything instances that I open - be they instances on the same machine or on different machines...

I'm thinking that ntfs_volume_*.* & rtfs_volume_*.* are going to be machine dependent, so would want to be left out...

Having just done this "manually", I copied everything.ini from one machine to another (with Everything closed), I deleted above, figuring that on opening Everything would automatically pick up, set up, the ntfs_volume_*.* for the new machine...
void
Developer

Re: Everything_user.ini

Post by void »

without machine specific specific settings?
The plan is to redo the setting system in Everything to make it more enterprise friendly.
So this would take Computer/User settings into account.
This would allow GPOs to lock and specify settings.

I'll consider a Everything-user.ini.

There's not too many Computer/Machine settings in Everything. NTFS options are tied to a GUID and Path. The GUID is unique to that volume.
It won't hurt to save these in the user settings since when you move this profile to another computer, Everything will just see the NTFS GUID is missing.
Having just done this "manually", I copied everything.ini from one machine to another (with Everything closed), I deleted above, figuring that on opening Everything would automatically pick up, set up, the ntfs_volume_*.* for the new machine...
Everything should see the NTFS volumes are from a another computer and remove them automatically, it should also add any new NTFS volumes for the new computer, it all depends on your Automatically included new fixed/removable volumes / Automatically remove offline volumes settings.
Sounds like you have both of these disabled? -If so you would end up with an empty index.

Would you prefer Everything follow only the drive letter? eg: on computer1 you setup Everything to index only C:, copy your Everything.ini to computer2, where Everything on computer2 will index only c: (even though it may have a D: and E: drive)

I could make Everything a bit "smarter" here and detect that the c: drive has been "replaced". This should be fine for the C: drive, but could be troublesome for other removable drives.