Request: Ability manually edit exclusion list.

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Janus

Request: Ability manually edit exclusion list.

Post by Janus »

I would like the ability to manually add to/edit the index exclusion list.

The reason for this is so I can exclude drive letters I reserve for portable devices.
Currently I can not add a non existent drive letter, and I would like to be able to.
Currently I add devices and manipulate drive letters so I can select then exclude them, but it is a lot of work.
Everything occasionally loses the exclusion list of portable devices, and I have found no reason for it.

I suspect it is because customers supply me with portable devices that are properly partitioned, so windows does not tend to treat them as portable.
Sometimes it takes a week mess up the list, sometimes more than a month.

I have turned off automatically index new volumes, but it still does when the config glitches.
Not worried about the glitch so much as work it takes to fix it.

Janus.
void
Developer

Re: Request: Ability manually edit exclusion list.

Post by void »

To add a non-existent drive to your exclude list:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Exclude tab on the left.
  • Click Add Filter....
  • Type in the drive to exclude, eg: J:\ and click OK.
  • Click OK.
Note: Everything will still index your J: volume if automatically include fixed/removable volumes is checked, it will just exclude all the files on J:.

Everything should not be losing your settings, please make sure Everything is able to load from and save to %APPDATA%\Everything.
Is this folder being redirected?

To manually edit the exclude list:
  • Completely exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • Open your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini
  • Change the following line:
    exclude_folders=
    to
    exclude_folders=J:\;K:\
    where J:\ and K:\ are the drives you wish to exclude.
  • Save changes and restart Everything.
The next time Everything loses its settings, could you please send me your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini to support@voidtools.com (make sure you don't close an Everything search window before sending)