Google Bot and other web crawlers

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
ericepp

Google Bot and other web crawlers

Post by ericepp »

I have noticed recently that several web crawlers have been scanning my server recently. I'm not sure if they are downloading content, or just poking around. There is no telling how long this has been going on, because I decided to look at my log file on a whim and out of curiosity. Coincidentally I recently started getting warning messages from Bitdefender about infected web resources. I use the server function of this software because I am not a coder, and don't want to spend the time to learn Apache. I have been using a free domain name from Changeip for several years, and I don't know if possibly being listed on a nameserver is the reason I am getting pinged by these web crawlers. I have only installed two pieces of software recently: Bitdefender Total Security and Stellar Data Recovery Professional. Can you help me to understand if this is a potential security or performance problem, and if there is something I can do to stop them? I changed the port on my server to a non standard one since I am the only person that uses it. Please advise in any way you can.
void
Developer

Re: Google Bot and other web crawlers

Post by void »

I recommend checking your firewall settings on Windows and on your router.

Both should be blocking remote access to Everything by default.

I also recommend you set a http server password.