Keeping a file in results list after changing its name

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
burgundy

Keeping a file in results list after changing its name

Post by burgundy »

When I search for a file and use Everything to rename it, it immediately disappears from the search list. I have "Search As You Type" set in Options.

Is there a temporary override or hotkey within Everything which keeps a file visible in the results list in such circumstances?

For example, I may want to change a document name and then open it to do some work.
therube

Re: Keeping a file in results list after changing its name

Post by therube »

What I try to do, is to add some common string, or to keep enough of the existing name, such that my rename does not cause the file to "vanish" - until I'm finished manipulating it. When done, I'll complete the rename, & if at that point it "vanishes", that is fine.

Sometimes I'll preface the file name with "zzz ".
Usually it will be a set of files I'm dealing with, & I'll preface them all with "zzz ".
Do my manipulations, then when done, I'll remove the "zzz " part & complete any rename part that I'd been holding off on.
Every so often, I fat-finger things, & end up with a file(s) named "zzz", loosing what was there previously ;-).
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/computer_ ... _view.html can be helping in rediscovering that newly lost filename.

There are some "monitor_update..." options, but I'm not particularly familiar with them so not sure if they would help.
Not sure if disabling (Options | Index) Monitor Changes would do it?

In any case, if you rename a file, you still could not manipulate it (using its old name) because the file no longer exists under that name, only under the newly renamed name. The only purpose in not having the name change "immediately" is for a visual reference to its former self.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything tries to keep the results "live".

Please try adjusting your search so it will include the new filename.

I'll consider an option to keep files in the result list after a file name change only when the file was previously in the result list.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

Thank you for offering to include an option to keep the file name in the results list after a name change.

However this would affect all searches which may be more than necessary.

Perhaps a "one time" option would be more flexible. Maybe the user could press a kep like CTRL or ALT when selecting rename (or using F2) which would keep the file name in the list after a name change even if it no longer matches the search criteria?

Just an idea.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the Ctrl/Alt + rename suggestion.

What about an option to pin an item to the result list? the item would stay in the result list until unpinned?
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

void wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:10 amWhat about an option to pin an item to the result list? the item would stay in the result list until unpinned?
Personally I wouldn't have any use for that. If I wanted to see some previous files while search for others, I would prefer to open an new Everything window.