Optimization for Keyboard

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
etc

Optimization for Keyboard

Post by etc »

If last_options_page is "Keyboard", and when Options dialog is just open, (or after "Apply" is clicked,) the focus is in the first hotkey box, which blocks the accelerator keys, though Tab/Shift+Tab can be used.

I think the "Show commands containing:" box is most often used. How about moving the three hotkey boxes down to the bottom? Let "Show commands containing:" box be at the top to get the focus by default. It would be more natural when we filter and manage commands constantly.

By the way, I think the "Toggle Window" hotkey should not exit Everything even if "Run in background" is disabled.
void
Developer

Re: Optimization for Keyboard

Post by void »

Added to my FIXME list, thanks for the suggestion.

Currently, Alt shortcuts will not work when a key edit has focus.

I like the idea of focusing the "Show commands containing:" edit when the keyboard page is first shown.
Another option is to make the user click with the mouse in the key edit before it will accept key presses.
By the way, I think the "Toggle Window" hotkey should not exit Everything even if "Run in background" is disabled.
Please try the Show Window hotkey instead.
etc

Post by etc »

void wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:05 am
Please try the Show Window hotkey instead.
I mean:
When "Run in background" is disabled, pressing "Toggle Window" hotkey in an Everything window will close the window.
Is it possible to make it just minimize the window? So we can toggle the window even when "Run in background" is disabled.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'll consider minimizing Everything, instead of closing it, when using the toggle window hotkey.
Or, at least I'll add an option to do this.

Thanks for the suggestion.
etc

Post by etc »

In "Organize Filters/Bookmarks" windows, the &key for "Move Up" is U, but the one for "Move Down" is M.
I feel this is not good.

s1:
Since Del key can be used, the &key for "Delete" button is little needed.
So what about D for "Move Down", and L for "Delete" button? (Seen in some other apps.)

----------
s2:
Need a solution to globally manage All the keyboard shortcuts, including the ones for Filters and Bookmarks, so one can know any conflict instantly.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Alt + Up Arrow and Alt + Down Arrow also allow you to move filters/bookmark items.
So what about D for "Move Down", and L for "Delete" button? (Seen in some other apps.)
I try to avoid changing Alt keys.
I'll consider U/D for the alt keys, thanks for the suggestion.
I've seen other apps use U/N, except Everything uses N for New.

The filters/bookmarks organize UI will use a listview in the next major release, which will allow multiple selection and drag dropping.

Showing filter/bookmark keyboard shortcut conflicts is on my TODO list. I'll also look into managing filter/bookmark keyboard shortcuts in Tools -> Options -> Keyboard.
etc

Post by etc »

void wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:00 am Alt + Up Arrow and Alt + Down Arrow also allow you to move filters/bookmark items.
Thank you for telling me this.
Please add such info into the tooltip of the corresponding control (e.g. the list).

Is it possible to make a disabled control also show the tooltip (especially in Options)?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please add such info into the tooltip of the corresponding control (e.g. the list).
Added to my TODO list.
Is it possible to make a disabled control also show the tooltip (especially in Options)?
Not easily, added to my TODO list.

Thanks for the suggestions.