Help! Number of hits increase rather than decrease as type search term

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Ghopper

Help! Number of hits increase rather than decrease as type search term

Post by Ghopper »

Hello,

Everything is one of the greatest programs ever created, and I think the author is a genius. In an age when every incompetent loser and his brother is publishing stupid “apps” to “monetize” (why has the word “monetize” replaced the phrase “hawk a worthless product?”) their dumb ideas, the author of Everything exemplifies everything that was (and is) great about freeware. I am deeply appreciative of the author’s exceedingly useful contribution to the world. Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, and their ilk have a long way to go before they can even attempt to claim that they’ve benefited humanity as much as the author of Everything.

Given how awesome Everything is, I am in desperate straits, because somehow I screwed up my installation.

Whereas normally, as I type in a search term, the number of hits continues to decrease the more I type, that is no longer the case.

For example, as I type in “Nebraska,” letter by letter, the number of hits goes from 1913 to 274 to 9 to 3 to 0, and then when I finish typing it in completely, it jumps to 59 hits.

The same type of thing happens with every word I test: the hits decrease the further I go, but when I finish typing in the word, the number of hits jumps drastically.

Can anyone possibly tell me what I did wrong?

Thanks very much in advance.

ps I'm using v. 1.4.1.895 (x64).
void
Developer

Re: Help! Number of hits increase rather than decrease as type search term

Post by void »

Thanks for your feedback.
Glad to hear you like Everything!

Please make sure no search options are checked under your Search menu.
Was match whole words enabled?
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

Thanks for the quick reply Mr. Void!

There were 3 boxes checked under “Search:”

- Fast ASCII search
- Match path when a search term contains a path separator
- Match whole filename when using wildcards

I unchecked them all (leaving no boxes checked), restarted it, and forced an index rebuild.

It didn’t seem to fix the problem – searching for, e.g., Nebraska give me the exact same results as before.

Should I reinstall it, or is there some other approach that might work?

Thanks again!
void
Developer

Post by void »

What about under the Search menu in the main search window?

I recommend re-enabling the following under Tools -> Options -> Search:
  • Fast ASCII search
  • Match path when a search term contains a path separator
  • Match whole filename when using wildcards
Ghopper

Post by Ghopper »

Thanks! That solved the problem. I must have somehow inadvertently clicked the whole word option without knowing it.

I always knew that the problem originated with me and not the program (operator error), but I couldn't figure out how to fix it.

Thank you for diagnosing it so quickly. My installation of Everything is now back to being the most indispensable program on my computer.

Thanks again!