Can’t launch found files

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Onthelam

Can’t launch found files

Post by Onthelam »

Although everything seems to work quite well in finding my files when I click on an item in the search results I get a message that says Windows cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

What do I need to do to resolve this?

Thanks!
salazor

Re: Can’t launch found files

Post by salazor »

What system?

Run "Everything Service" in Tools | Options | General
OR
try "Run as Adminstrator"
Onthelam

Post by Onthelam »

Onthelam wrote:Although everything seems to work quite well in finding my files when I click on an item in the search results I get a message that says Windows cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

What do I need to do to resolve this?

Thanks!
salazor wrote:What system?

Run "Everything Service" in Tools | Options | General
OR
try "Run as Adminstrator"
I am running windows 7. I confirmed the everything service is checked and I also tried running as admin. I should also say I am working in a corporate environment and most of the files are on network servers.
froggie

Post by froggie »

Can you access them from Windows explorer?
Onthelam

Post by Onthelam »

What I have been doing is looking at the path shown in everything and then looking for and opening the files that way. It’s cumbersome and time consuming as you might imagine but it does work. But obviously I would like to be able to simply click on the item as it shows in the search results.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

(Assuming you don't try to contact an ETP server ... (as you also index local files))

In this case, don't use "Run as administrator".
It will use the local administrator account to run your files (from the network).
The Local administrator account doesn't have the rights to do so.
Besides: drive mappings are per-person. so your X: drive mapping is very likely different from that of another account.

There are multiple ways this "run as administartor"can be activated. Check TaskManager to see if Everything.exe is running under your account.

To ease your cumbersome procedure, you could do the following:
- In Menu:Tools > Option > Context Menu , select Copy Path to Clipboard and choose Show this item
- Optional: If you wish, you can add a hotkey to this, under Menu:Tools > Options > Keyboard
- In Everything GUI: right-click the file you want to start (or use your hotkey), select Copy Path to Clipboard
- In File Explorer, paste this in the address bar and press <Enter>
- Start the program / documnet / ...

Optional: Menu:Tools > Options > Results > Double quote copy as path
(File Explorer can handle a path with spaces in it without being "", but other programs maybe not.)
Onthelam

Post by Onthelam »

Thanks for the assistance. The copy to clipboard is going to prove to be very useful.
Onthelam

Post by Onthelam »

Strangely, well I can copy the path to the clipboard the path of Shawn is not a direct napping so it does not work properly. However I was able to add the open path option and it works just fine. So thanks again
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Onthelam wrote:Strangely, well I can copy the path to the clipboard the path of Shawn is not a direct napping so it does not work properly.
What do you mean by this?

Note that the "Copy Path .. " workaround is, well ... , a workaround :-)
You should be able to start programs /open documents using Everything.

A quick way to detect which username you are running Everything from:
- In Everything, make sure you have the "Everything" filter enabled and regex disabled
- In the search bar, type:

Code: Select all

shell:personal
What username do you see in the result list?