"Manage with..." Open file/folder with specific program in context menu

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
marcosete

"Manage with..." Open file/folder with specific program in context menu

Post by marcosete »

Hello.

I can't find if this topic has been already discussed here. May I ask someone to help me, please?
I am a photographer and I use Everything a lot to search for my pictures in my computer, either by the name of the folder or the filename.

My question is as follows:

In Everything, in the listed results after a search, how can I set an option in the context menu that lets me browse the selected folder/file in an external specific program?

For example:
1. In Everything, I do a search for "France".
2. In the results, all the folders and files containing the word "France" appear.
3. I select a specific folder, lets say "France Summer 2015", as I want to browse it with my external program "ACDSee" (image manager), rather than opening ir in the Windows Explorer.
4. It would be nice to have a "Manage with..." or "Open with..." option in the context menu of Everything that lets you do that, opening this folder in ACDSee automatically, rather that doing it manually everyting copying and pasting the path.

Could someone out there with better skills than me help me? I hope so.
Thank you so much.
Marcos.
horst.epp

Re: "Manage with..." Open file/folder with specific program in context menu

Post by horst.epp »

Use Tools / Option / Context Menu
set the Open Path entry.
Here for example my entry for Total Commander file manager:
$exec("c:\Tools\Wincmd\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /o /t /A /S "%1")

It should be easy to adapt that for your program.
marcosete

Post by marcosete »

Hello Horst,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I have accurately followed the steps that you indicate, but it does not work. I mean, it does open the external program, but it does not open on the path of the selected file or folder.
This is what I did:

EVERYTHING menu: Tools > Options > Context Menu > Open Path >
Command box: $exec("C:\Program Files\Zoner\Photo Studio 15\Program64\Zps.exe" /o /t /A /S "%1")
I have tried it either with a searched file and a folder.

Any idea of what is wrong here?

Thank you.

Regards,

Marcos.
ovg

Post by ovg »

Does your program ever accept command line parameters?

Code: Select all

/o /t /A /S
is related to TC only, remove this switches from your command line and try again.
marcosete

Post by marcosete »

Hello, I tried again without the command line you indicate:
$exec("C:\Program Files\Zoner\Photo Studio 15\Program64\Zps.exe" "%1")
and unfortunately it's still not working.

Answering to your question, I think that the program (Zoner Photo Studio 15) accepts command line paramete, because, as weird as it seems, in my previous PC (now in the rubbish), I remember that there was a "Manage from Zoner Photo Studio" option in the Everything context menu, which opened in the selected file/folder pointed in Everything. I am just trying to recover that option again.

Thank you for your help anyway. I don't want to bother you anymore. I will try to get advice writing to the Zoner website.

Marcos.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

marcosete wrote: I will try to get advice writing to the Zoner website.

That certainly a good step to take, indeed. It's a little hard to tell what your program(s) uses as command line parameters to open a folder for browsing/managing.

Before you contact support, you might want to look into the settings of your program(s). Most likely you will find an option to add your program to the Explorer context menu. And if it is in the Explorerr context menu, it will be in the Everything context menu, giving you the desired functionality ...

In the options/settings of your program, look for keywords like file association, file extensions, shell integration, shell extensions, Explorer integration.
I'm using IrfanView for viewing photos and there this option is called "Add "Browse with IrfanView" for Drives and Folders to shell menu.

Another suggestion I can give you, is to search through the help file of your program for "command line syntax" or command line options". If there is a command line option to browse a folder, then it is certainly possible to integrate it in Explorer and/or Everything. In that case: try the suggestions done in earlier posts, or report back here.