x86 or x64

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
jfh

x86 or x64

Post by jfh »

I have never used Everything, but I want to download it. However I don't know which version I should download - the x86 or x64, and about the only thing the faq on the website says is that the x64 uses more memory (without saying why). My computer runs Win 10 and is, of course, 64 bit. What is the difference in the two versions, and which version is best for just an average computer user?
void
Developer

Re: x86 or x64

Post by void »

What is the difference in the two versions
x86
  • Less memory usage (About half the memory usage of the x64 version, only need to store 4 bytes for pointers instead of 8 bytes for x64)
  • Faster in most cases (One of the biggest performance hits in "Everything" is memory access, accessing less memory usually makes "Everything" faster)
x64
  • Can allocate memory for massive indexes (x86 is limited to 2GB, which is roughly 40 million files)
  • Support for x64 shell extensions when x86 is not supported. (Try the x64 version if you are missing right click menus in the x86 version)
and which version is best for just an average computer user?
The x86 version, generally better performance and less memory usage, the one bolded on the downloads page.
jfh

Re: x86 or x64

Post by jfh »

Thanks