problem with UAC popup

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
turbinea

problem with UAC popup

Post by turbinea »

Sorry if this was asked befor but i cannot find help or guide that would solve my problem.

My problem is everytime i start windows i get UAC popup asking for admin rights for everything.exe. This also happens if rightclick on a folder and use 'Search everything'.

It wasn't always like that. I had portable version and it worked as intented until i moved folder with other utility apps elsewhere and since then UAC started poping up. I tried to remove or uninstall it using guide from support/uninstall section. No luck, UAC appeared after i installed app again.

Service 'everything' is running with this commands ...path\Everything.exe" -svc -svc-port 15486. i tried to change port to see if it helps. no luck.
I tried uncheckig 'run as admin' in the general options and it UAC problem goes away but then the app won't work. i can open the window and type keywords but no results appear. If i then check 'run as admin' i get UAC popup and app works as before.

I am using portable version with all the data set to be stored in same folder as app. I am on win 10 64bit and using latest version of everything.
I installed this app on my work computer and it works just fine, no pesky UAC dialogs, it's just this one computer case i cannot fix.

If there is some trick how to get rid of this problem please let me know, thanks
T.
void
Developer

Re: problem with UAC popup

Post by void »

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the Everything service:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Uncheck Everything service.
  • Click Apply.
  • Check Everything service.
  • Click OK.
Please make sure appdata is on, and run as admin is off:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab.
  • Check Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Completely exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit).
  • Open your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini and make sure run_as_admin is set to 0
    run_as_admin=0
  • Save changes and restart Everything.
turbinea

Post by turbinea »

Thank you for reply.
I did everythin in your guide. UAC popup is no longer there but the program stopped working.
Despite typing filename i am sure is on my hardrive i get '0 objects' on the bottom of the window.

I tried to restart computer after but still no luck. After restart i see at the bottom 'loading database...' and after a while 'Querying USN Change Journal on Local Disk (C:)'. Soon after this is replaced by 'Ready' and that's it.
Everything.ini has 'app_data=1' , 'run_as_admin=0'

One thing that may not be 'as usual' is i have folder with smaller utility apps on different drive than C: and not in %APPDATA%\ folder.
Now i moved the exe file to the c\..appdata\everything folder to see if it helps. It went same process as before, 'loading database' and so on but then new popup appeared saying "Everything requires administrative privileges to index NTFS volumes. Run as admin or install everything service..." I had 3 option from which i selected 'Install the Everything service'. But the program is still not providing any results.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sounds like the Everything client cannot talk with the Everything Service.

Please try rechecking the Everything service in Tools -> Options -> General.
turbinea

Post by turbinea »

Unchecking and checking again 'Everything service' didn't help.
But then I manually stopped the service in windows' services window and then restarted it again and since then it works! Thanks!
T.
calexicoca

Post by calexicoca »

I have exactly the same problem! Tried your solutions but it did not work. The thing is - I don't have "run_as_admin" in my ini file at all. Should I manually add it and if yes where?

BTW Everything became my MOST important app apart from Windows itself. Thank you for creating such a wonder!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try disabling Run this program as an administrator:
  • Right click your Everything.exe or a shortcut to Everything and click Properties.
    Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Uncheck Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
The thing is - I don't have "run_as_admin" in my ini file at all. Should I manually add it and if yes where?
The run_as_admin value should be in the Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything.exe.
It should exist by default, if it is not set it is disabled.
calexicoca

Post by calexicoca »

void wrote:Please try disabling Run this program as an administrator:
  • Right click your Everything.exe or a shortcut to Everything and click Properties.
    Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Uncheck Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
The thing is - I don't have "run_as_admin" in my ini file at all. Should I manually add it and if yes where?
The run_as_admin value should be in the Everything.ini in the same location as your Everything.exe.
It should exist by default, if it is not set it is disabled.
You are right there is "run_as_admin" value there with 1 on it. I did what you suggested, but still got the system prompt to run as administrator. I tried to change value in ini file but it did not allow me to make changes. So I moved file into another directory put 0 value in run_as_admin and move it back to the same place where everything is. Now I don't get the prompt :D > Thank you!!!