General discussion related to "Everything".
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

many aspects were aggravated (or were not improved) in this so very long awaited new version. here are only some thoughts/questions:

1) useful zoom-feature is no longer available (hold ctrl and scroll up/down to immediately zoom in/out all text in 'search results' field)
'main menu -> view -> zoom -> zoom in/out' is much less convenient

2) 'show selected item in status bar' only partially displays a title if it is quite long (though the status bar has enough space to the left to display all the title)

3) colours were noticeably spoiled for some reason. after an hour i still cannot restore old simple normal look

for instance, a selected folder should have constant grey colour in the background (while ET is in background, and when hovering that selected folder while ET is in background)
but when i managed to do it, some other related to colours inconvenience appears (when selecting a folder, it changes its background colour as soon as i move a cursor away from a folder title)

4) new 'rename' dialog (appears after pressing F2 when several items are selected). maybe i have not understood something but to me this dialog is absolutely useless and strange
this is surely not the multiple-rename-improvement ET may provide

5) 'result list focus -> repeat with search'. it does work if a folder is selected and up/down is pressed. but it does not work if a folder is in state of renaming and up/down is pressed

6) 'advanced search' - the window does not remember its size. the implementation is not so awful (as in case with the 'rename' dialog) but still it is far from convenient
example: if a folder is selected in the main ET window, the 'located in' area should be auto-filled with the full path of that selected folder

the 'a word or phrase in the file' option behaves very slowly at 1st (and it is understandable). naturally, it is instant in the following minutes. but in several hours it is exactly very slow as at the 1st time. which is very disappointing

7) (after exit) ET no longer remembers size of its main window

8) general responsiveness of a program is definitely lower (even if there are only 10-20 objects in the 'search results')
therube

Re: 1.4.0.702

Post by therube »

1. hmm. now gives you icons or some such.

4.i had taken a quick look at that, & figured it would require some study.

6.another quick look. to me it was a GUI work-around for those who don't know the various functions: & in that respect didn't look or feel particularly appealing.

7. i may have noticed that initially, or maybe it was on the very first run, a new window opened from the initial window was not sized correctly. but after Exit & restart, don't think I've noticed it again.

8. not sure that i've noticed anything like that.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for your feedback.
1) useful zoom-feature is no longer available (hold ctrl and scroll up/down to immediately zoom in/out all text in 'search results' field)
'main menu -> view -> zoom -> zoom in/out' is much less convenient
Ctrl + mousewheel up/down now mimics Windows Explorer in changing the view.
I'll look into making the mousewheel commands customizable.
2) 'show selected item in status bar' only partially displays a title if it is quite long (though the status bar has enough space to the left to display all the title)
Sounds like a bug, could you please send a screen shot.
3) colours were noticeably spoiled for some reason. after an hour i still cannot restore old simple normal look

for instance, a selected folder should have constant grey colour in the background (while ET is in background, and when hovering that selected folder while ET is in background)
but when i managed to do it, some other related to colours inconvenience appears (when selecting a folder, it changes its background colour as soon as i move a cursor away from a folder title)
Check the "Hot" and "Hot Selected" colors in Tools -> Options -> Fonts and Colors.
Set single click open to Double click from Tools -> Options -> UI, to use the same coloring as in Everything 1.3.
4) new 'rename' dialog (appears after pressing F2 when several items are selected). maybe i have not understood something but to me this dialog is absolutely useless and strange
this is surely not the multiple-rename-improvement ET may provide
I will provide support and examples on the multi-file renamer soon.
The multi-file renamer works best if the filenames share some similarities.
5) 'result list focus -> repeat with search'. it does work if a folder is selected and up/down is pressed. but it does not work if a folder is in state of renaming and up/down is pressed
Added to my things to fix list.
This bug should only occur when inline renaming is enabled.
6) 'advanced search' - the window does not remember its size. the implementation is not so awful (as in case with the 'rename' dialog) but still it is far from convenient
example: if a folder is selected in the main ET window, the 'located in' area should be auto-filled with the full path of that selected folder
I'll look into saving the position of the advanced search window and the previous advanced search settings.
It might be possible to auto fill a few fields in the advanced search from the current search.
the 'a word or phrase in the file' option behaves very slowly at 1st (and it is understandable). naturally, it is instant in the following minutes. but in several hours it is exactly very slow as at the 1st time. which is very disappointing
This is the expected behavior. Windows will only hold the cache for so long until it is needed for something else.
7) (after exit) ET no longer remembers size of its main window
Please make sure "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" is enabled or please make sure Everything has write access to the folder with your Everything.exe.
8) general responsiveness of a program is definitely lower (even if there are only 10-20 objects in the 'search results')
Do you have "Show size in status bar" enabled?
"Show size in status bar" can affect the responsiveness of Everything.

What sort type are you using?
Sorting by size descending or date modified descending can also very slightly affect the responsiveness of Everything.

Please check the performance information in the debug console between the different versions.
salazor

Post by salazor »

void wrote:
Sounds like a bug, could you please send a screen shot.
You can see it in my post, look at the status bar.
void
Developer

Post by void »

You can see it in my post, look at the status bar.
Thanks, there is a 127 character limit with the status bar on Windows XP and earlier.
This limit is removed on Vista and later.

Implementing my own status bar to get around this limitation is on my TODO list.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

3)
Check the "Hot" and "Hot Selected" colors in Tools -> Options -> Fonts and Colors
this is the exact place where i had been trying for hour to restore colouring as in ET (1.3). i will try to describe the only remained problem related to colours:

for example, there is 1 selected file:
- when 'result list' is focused, everything is normal (that selected file has: white foreground, blue background)
- when the focus is moved to 'search edit' (or to other program), everything is also normal (black foreground, grey background)
- but when the focus is moved to 'search edit' AND the cursor is hovering that 1 selected file, foreground goes white while background goes blue
the desired behaviour (when hovering) is: foreground stays black, background stays grey

now i have:
hot - foreground - custom - black (160, 0, 0 - 0, 0, 0)
hot - background - default - white (160, 0, 240 - 255, 255, 255)
hot selected - foreground - default - white (160, 0, 240 - 255, 255, 255)
hot selected - background - custom - blue (149, 199, 55 - 10, 36, 106)
mouseover - foreground - default - black
mouseover - background - default - almost white (160, 0, 225 - 239, 239, 239)
drop target - foreground - default - white
drop target - background - custom - grey (160, 0, 181 - 192, 192, 192)
Set single click open to Double click
luckily, since version 1.4 ET provides a possibility to use single click. and i will never choose double click

4)
multi-file renamer works best if the filenames share some similarities
please consider implementing alternative multi-file renamer with the following behaviour:
- select folders/files that should be renamed
- press F2
- a default text editor appears (notepad or notepad2 or some other). titles of that selected folders/files are displayed in the editor (1 title occupies 1 line)
- perfrom all necessary editing in the most convenient and familiar way (using more or less rich possibilities of a text editor)
- save the text file; exit the text editor
- all changes are automatically applied; and new titles are immediately displayed in ET
void
Developer

Post by void »

for example, there is 1 selected file:
- when 'result list' is focused, everything is normal (that selected file has: white foreground, blue background)
- when the focus is moved to 'search edit' (or to other program), everything is also normal (black foreground, grey background)
- but when the focus is moved to 'search edit' AND the cursor is hovering that 1 selected file, foreground goes white while background goes blue
the desired behaviour (when hovering) is: foreground stays black, background stays grey
I will have to add a Hot selected inactive color option for full control.
Currently, the Hot selected color will override all other colors when the item is hot and selected (even when inactive).
please consider implementing alternative multi-file renamer with the following behaviour:
- select folders/files that should be renamed
- press F2
- a default text editor appears (notepad or notepad2 or some other). titles of that selected folders/files are displayed in the editor (1 title occupies 1 line)
- perfrom all necessary editing in the most convenient and familiar way (using more or less rich possibilities of a text editor)
- save the text file; exit the text editor
- all changes are automatically applied; and new titles are immediately displayed in ET
I like this suggestion, I've thought of implementing my own notepad-like/text editor multi-file renamer into Everything, but using an external text editor simplifies things.
I'll also look into an option to allow users to customize F2 when multiple files are selected to call an external renaming program.
As for the current multi-file renamer in Everything 1.4, I will probably make it a hidden keyboard command were the user will have to specify F2 (for multiple files selected) or some other key to use this function.
therube

Post by therube »

4. Rename.

So I've messed with it, a little.

And for "simple" things, it does seem convenient - enough that I'll use it instead of sending the file list to my (external) renamer.

Adding a prefix, text within, changing file extension, that's all pretty straight forward.
Haven't really messed with the % stuff yet.

Highlighting of differences between Old & New would be nice.
Confirmation prompt too, perhaps?
Or an undo would be even better.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

standard zoom (ctrl+wheel) is again available in ET since 1.4.0.709
this is probably the least important aspect among many other my suggestions/questions but anyway thanks for that
I will have to add a Hot selected inactive color option for full control
restoring an old convenient behaviour of ET is still not possible because versions 703, 704, 705, 709 do not have this tiny option. please don't forget about it

another negative thing that appeared in version 1.4:

when pressing F2 on a file that has diacritical symbols in its title, they are (only visually) auto-substituted by simple related symbols
example: Gör Min Himmel Blå -> Gor Min Himmel Bla
but when pressing F2 and up/down (without any renaming), diacritical symbols are indeed auto-substituted
(i have: 'single click open' enabled, rename_nav=1)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Hot selected inactive color customization is still on my TODO list.
when pressing F2 on a file that has diacritical symbols in its title, they are (only visually) auto-substituted by simple related symbols
example: Gör Min Himmel Blå -> Gor Min Himmel Bla
but when pressing F2 and up/down (without any renaming), diacritical symbols are indeed auto-substituted
(i have: 'single click open' enabled, rename_nav=1)
I don't understand what is happening here, could you please provide screenshots?
Everything shouldn't be auto substituting simple non-diacritical symbols for diacritical symbols in the rename label.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

unlike many other substantial suggestions/problems (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 / 7, 8), this diacritical issue is not a big deal to me. but anyway:

select 1 file (there are diacritical symbols in the title): http://www.imagebam.com/image/5d1e7e446199582
press F2 (those symbols become not visible but they still exist): http://www.imagebam.com/image/272b99446199601
press down (diacritical symbols disappear): http://www.imagebam.com/image/50eee9446199618
press esc: http://www.imagebam.com/image/a6464e446199637

toggling of these settings is not a solution:
single click open -> use system settings
single click open -> single click
single click open -> double click
rename_nav=1
rename_nav=0
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the screen shots.

This is an odd bug, I'm unsure how this is happening, does the same issue occur if you use the default font under Tools -> Options -> Fonts and Colors -> Font?
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

in my options:
fonts and colors -> font -> default
fonts and colors -> size -> default

i never change these 2 settings manually, i only use: ctrl+wheel up (to zoom in), ctrl+wheel down (to zoom out)
(the same issue occurs if i choose zoom reset)

the bug is indeed strange. i don't use 1.3.3.656 anymore but i still have it just in case. and this problem is absent there right now

there is 1 more aspect which is related to this situation. my win explorer (xp) behaves like ET 1.3 and ET 1.4 simultaneously. in other words:
when pressing 'F2' on a file that has diacritical symbols in its title, they are (only visually) auto-substituted by simple related symbols (ö becomes o, å becomes a...) (like in ET 1.4)
but when pressing 'F2' and 'down' (without any renaming), diacritical symbols are NOT auto-substituted (ö stays ö, å stays å...) (partially like in ET 1.3)
void
Developer

Post by void »

If you right click inside the rename edit, are any of the following options shown?
  • Open IME
  • Close IME
  • Reconversion (grey)
  • Reconversion (clickable)
What keyboard layout are you using:
  • From the Start menu, click Control Panel
  • Click Region and Language
  • Click the Keyboards and Languages tab.
  • Click Change keyboards...
  • What is the default input language set to?
  • What is listed under installed services?
  • Does the keyboard type change when the Everything rename edit is focused? or when Explorers rename edit has focus?
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

are any of the following options shown?
no. there are only: cancel, cut, copy, paste, delete, select all
What is the default input language set to?
english (usa) - usa
What is listed under installed services?
1) en english (usa) -> keyboard -> usa
2) ru russian -> keyboard -> russian

i'm not sure what "the keyboard type" means but it seems that nothing (related to language) is changing when the ET's/explorer's rename edit is focused