Use everything in place of Windows Indexing

General discussion related to "Everything".
questorfla

Use everything in place of Windows Indexing

Post by questorfla »

I have run across something that may or may not even be true but if it is, I wondered if there was a way to handle it.

On a couple of systems when I ran into some issues using Everything search, it was suggested that the Everything method of indexing may be interfering in some way be interfering with Windows indexing. Even if true, I would rather turn off Windows indexing and allow Everything indexing to handle ALL search needs. :) Is there way to do this such that Everything becomes my only Search and Index option as well as the default?
Can I force windows to accept the returns from Everything Search as opposed to using its own internal index and search?

This usually only comes up in programs where the software is hardcoded to use Windows search for its needs. Everything is orders of magnitude faster than Windows and I would much prefer to have it as my only method of indexing/ searching if this could be done without creating problems I am not considering.
I know that Windows Indexing does have some settings that control how much memory it uses but not sure if I could totally replace it with Everything Search.
void
Developer

Re: Use everything in place of Windows Indexing

Post by void »

To completely disable Windows indexing:
  • From the Start menu -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services.
  • Right click Windows Search and click properties.
  • Set Start-up type to Disabled.
  • Click Stop.
  • Click OK.
Unfortunately there is no Windows Search integration for Everything. yet...
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Windows search is indexing also the contents of files, not only their names !
It isn't slow because it fetches the entries from a database which is continuesly updated in the background.
I use Everything to only search for names but Windows index if I search for some content.
This way I can search for content of PDF files or Documents which I quite often need.
So Everything is a fine program but it can in no way replace Windows indexing !
therube

Post by therube »

(
Windows search is indexing also the contents of files
I just learned that the other day & have been "using" Win7 for years.
When I saw that, I was like whoa, what!?
[Might have been the first time ever using Windows Search?]
)