Update selected files in a filelist to remove them if missing

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5.
Herkules97
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 am

Update selected files in a filelist to remove them if missing

Post by Herkules97 »

I may have already asked about this before..I vaguely remember that the idea was to modify any efus I want to dupe-from to all point to the same folder. Maybe first by combining them into one efu.
I'm sure there is a regex line one can make to unify them all to point to the same folder if files are across hundreds of root folders..

But being able to re-read all file locations that are selected and removing any entries for that instance or temporarily-loaded efu that it can't find would probably fit more scenarios and if sentimental like me wouldn't produce any more copies I'd want to keep.

It should at least be an option in the top menus bar if it's ever added, as right-clicking takes forever and that's not even time used to do the task. Plus if you ever click away, its progress almost vanishes. Right-clicking again right after might be faster, but still much slower than not relying on right-click menu for anything.

Maybe monitor changes is used for this situation, I am not sure what it means by reloading the filelist.
Does it overwrite the existing efu on deleting a file? Or does it achieve a non-retroactive removal of entries while the efu is loaded?
Being able to re-read selected file locations would mean it can also apply to temporarily loaded efus that unloads on window exit..But I guess it could also have a "monitor changes" button in the load file pop-up.
Even if that is how it works, maybe it could miss changes if too much is deleted in a period of time. Idk.
Not really feeling like making copies of thousands of files just to delete them to test and find out maybe. Unnecessary R/W.
void
Developer
Posts: 20252
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Update selected files in a filelist to remove them if missing

Post by void »

To update filelists:
Right click the EFU file list and click Edit.
In the File List Editor, from the Tools menu, click Update.
This will scan all the roots in the file list and rescan them. New and modified files are added, deleted files are removed.

Monitoring changes to file lists means if the file list is modified outside of Everything, the file list is reindex by Everything.
Everything never writes to indexed file lists.

File Lists
Herkules97
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:42 am

Re: Update selected files in a filelist to remove them if missing

Post by Herkules97 »

Not what I am looking for.
Only looking for when you select x files and then want to rescan them to remove whatever it doesn't find.
You can then continue without nearly as much rescanning to find further duplicates instead of finding more of what you already removed.
If at the point after rescan you want to save the new version for some reason, then you can do that then. No need to involve the editor.

Idk what the point of the editor's update thing even is when you can just export the live folder again. Doing that removes the need to rescan...Saving time spent waiting and unnecessary disk reads.
If one has no live instance for the device the folder is on but still wants to rescan an export from said device? Then you're better off making a new live instance if the original was lost and going from there.

Another improvement that could be made is if dupe-from could be used for any folder matching the current string.
If I number folders, Numbered1 and Numbered2 would be matched if something like dupe-from*:"C:\Numbered" is used.
Could've tested if it already existed when I was comparing last time, but I only realised it while writing this message.
Like the above or dupe-from:"C:\Numbered*", *dupe-from:"C:\Numbered" or dupe-from:"C:\Numbered"*.

Don't have anything more so if it never gets added I'll just have to either update the smallest efu every time I want it to have only currently live files or make a copy of the live instance and add efus into it. Then it would be updating the live folders. Not ideal, but unless the update selected files mechanic gets added there is no other way from what I know.
That would also mean dupe-from could be used multiple times as the folders being removed from is updated every deletion.
Maybe one would have to modify the ini directly to say that it's monitoring whatever device the live instance was monitoring..Or start it once, open options to add it then force-exit and load it again. At least that's what I would do, Idk how it would actually play out.
void
Developer
Posts: 20252
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Update selected files in a filelist to remove them if missing

Post by void »

There's no option to remove stale files from a file list opened in Everything.


To find files that have been deleted, include the following in your search:

!EXISTSONDISK($filename:)


This search is rather slow, so combine with other searches.



To remove these files from your index:
Create a bookmark to remove these items:
From the Bookmark menu, click Add to bookmarks.
Change the Name to:
Remove from index

Change the Search to:
/command 40405

Click OK.
Select all your files.
Open this bookmark.
Everything will prompt to remove the selected files from your index.
The files are removed from your index, not the physical file list.



EXISTSONDISK()
/command
UI_ID_FILE_REMOVE_SELECTION_FROM_INDEX (40405)