Everything 1.3.1.636b does not "refresh"

Found a bug in "Everything"? report it here
Arbie

Everything 1.3.1.636b does not "refresh"

Post by Arbie »

I'm running Everything 1.3.1.636b under Win XP Pro 32-bit, indexing an external USB NTFS 4TB drive. I'm doing a regex search for .jpg files. That all works fine, finding about 10K such files (BIG THANKS for this great utility). However, after I delete some of these files under Windows Explorer, Everything will not register the changes. This persists through a "Refresh" command, doing another search then returning to this one, and even through completely exiting and then restarting Everything (!). The only way I can actually force the database to update is to disable the indexing of this drive completely, then reenable it (which takes a long time).

I do have "Enable USN Journal Logging", "Include in Database", and "Monitor Changes" all enabled for this drive, which is the only one I'm indexing. And the deleted files are not showing up from the Recycle bin - they show in their original folders. However, as you would expect, nothing can be done with them (can't "open path" etc).

This doesn't happen always, but fairly often. Today is the worst example of it yet. Just FYI as something to look for in your code.

Thx
Arbie
therube

Re: Everything 1.3.1.636b does not "refresh"

Post by therube »

> 4TB

Wonder if that might have any bearing (or more generally >2TB)?
void
Developer

Post by void »

The Everything monitors may have failed.
Please check your Errorlog.txt file in your Everything installation folder for errors.

Pressing F5, or ''refreshing'' the view does not rescan your hard drives.
It merely rebuilds icon and file information caches.

Try forcing Everything to rebuild its database.

To rebuild the Everything database:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
Arbie

Post by Arbie »

I should have mentioned that I'm using the portable 1.3.1.636b package (portable is great to have). I thought that might bear on the refresh issue.

But I'm now trying the old v1.2.1.375 version on the same hardware, and it refreshes much better. And this wasn't formally installed; I just copied its executable and .ini file over from an archive drive. So it was "portable" also.

To your previous reply: I can't locate an Errorlog.txt file at all. I do now see the Force Rebuild button, and it does force a refresh. Of course that is very slow.

Thanks,

Arbie
Arbie

Post by Arbie »

FYI, this still happens with v1.3.3.658b. The difference from my 4 April report is that most of the ~170 deleted files did disappear from the Everything window and showed up in the Recycle bin, as they should. However, about a dozen files were deleted but stayed on in the window.

I'm sure that if I rebuild the database these files will disappear from Everything's list, so it is not a consequential bug. It seems to happen if I'm trying to delete more than a dozen or so files from multiple folders.

Again, there is no Errorlog.txt file anywhere that I can see.

Thanks,

Arbie
nagan

Post by nagan »

As for 658b which is a near perfect build (save very minor bugs), this should not occur . If the concerned files are updated as Folder or a FAT drive , it will update only as per the frequency you set in Tools>Options>Indexes>Folders for that particular drive/folder..
Arbie

Post by Arbie »

Thank you, nagan. I'm pretty sure that some if not all the "problem" files were found via being in a specified folder. So that would explain it. If I find out more I'll post again.

Arbie