simultaneous Everything processes.

General discussion related to "Everything".
deepdvd

simultaneous Everything processes.

Post by deepdvd »

void,
Thank you for fixing the Ctrl-Esc key option.

Unfortunately, I'm regretting a little telling you that I was able to run Everything simultaneously with version 1.2.1.451a... because I can no longer do that with version 1.3.0.632b. It seems like you changed its identifier or something to be the same as it was before. This is proved by the fact that you can run 1.3.0.631b and 1.3.0.632b simultaneously.

I had hoped that the "new" Everything would stay as a different "application" so I could use all the functionality of the "old" Everything while at the same time beta test and use the new features of the "new" Everything.

Until recent changes and http server are added back in, it looks like I'm going to have to stay with using 1.2.1.451a and 1.3.0.631b.

Any comments as to why you made this change? (which isn't shown in the recent changes list)
therube

Re: simultaneous Everything processes.

Post by therube »

How are you attempting to do it?

I've got 632b running twice, under two different Windows User Accounts, & an instance of 451a running sandboxed (Sandboxie).

I have them all set to open from within their own directories.

Code: Select all

\Everything
\Everything\User2
\Everything451
I'm doing it this way, for now, so as to (hopefully) not have or cause interaction problems from one to the other, in particular as we're testing the newer 1.3.0's.

With 451a, when I would have two User Accounts running, each Everything instance would use its own .db, Everything.W7-X64.therube.db & Everything.W7-X64.User2.db, though only a single actual Everything.exe, & a single Everything.ini. (Suppose that the last instance to end would be the last .ini settings saved.)

(632b just names the .db 'Everything.db', not sure why exactly.)
OK, you're right.
Cannot run 451a & 632b simultaneously under the same user account.
Though you can run 451a & 631b, or 631b & 632b simultaneously under the same user account.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything uses the mutex:

EVERYTHING_MUTEX
There was a bug in 631b which was using the wrong mutex:

MAIN_MUTEX
To run everything 632b with a different mutex, start Everything.exe with the -instance <name> parameter.

For example:

Everything.exe -instance beta
-or-

Make sure Everything is closed and edit your Everything.ini for 1.3.0.632b and change the following line:

instance_name=
to:

instance_name=beta
deepdvd

Post by deepdvd »

Thank you very much. Exactly what I needed to know. Plus, I now know what a mutex is.