focus rectangle

General discussion related to "Everything".
adamantine

focus rectangle

Post by adamantine »

my version of 'everything' - 1.2.1.371 (win xp)

is it possible to get rid of unsightly focus rectangle ?

i am asking because i sincerely detest these dots, they bother me a lot. thanks to the afore-mentioned article i got rid of this focus rectangle in windows explorer, foo-bar... but, unfortunately, not in program 'everything'

any advice will be considered gratefully. for the sake of solving this problem i am ready to modify the ini-file or upgarde a program or do almost anything else (this is really important to me)
adamantine

Re: focus rectangle

Post by adamantine »

these days i am trying out version 1.3.1.636 b (win xp pro, sp 2)
as usual, i attempt to customize it as much as possible

since 'every-thing' is being developed again, i dare to ask once more - is there any way to make these awful dots either disabled or 100% transparent ?
it is so incredibly convenient without them in windows explorer, foo-bar, u-torrent, fire-fox...

in any case, thank you for the brilliant application
therube

Post by therube »

Perhaps by adjusting Colors (Fonts & Colors) & then the Selection rectangle: (View) you may be able to come up with something more agreeable?
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

in my options selection rectangle is set to 'use system default'. in my system the default state implies absence of any dots around any focused object
but if i understand correctly, for some reason 'every-thing' behaves not like it should within my operating system (where these dots were successfully removed even from windows explorer)

there are 2 more items in options -> view -> selection rectangle: 'translucent mask' and 'XOR mask' (though i have not noticed any changes with 'XOR mask' enabled)

'translucent mask' only deals with the area which you may select with the mouse when you are selecting some folders/files
(moreover, this area is also surrounded by identical dots, and they disappear as soon as you release the left button; but thankfully in windows explorer i do not see these dots too)
while i am only speaking about dots that embrace any focused object (this object even may be not selected, it just may have these dots around itself)

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6094/focusa.png

i have not succeeded in adjusting 'fonts and colours'. apparently, it won't help in this situation
(i really suspect that solution cannot be so simple, so i can only hope that the author of the program decides to add some option to the ini-file)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Are you looking for an option to just remove the DrawFocusRect? or would you like to replace it with something?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have added the ini option draw_focus_rect for the next release of Everything.

If you set this to 0: no focus rectangle is drawn.
If you set this to 1: the default focus rectangle is drawn (This is the default setting).

However, with this setting disabled, it can be impossible to know where the focus is.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

Are you looking for an option to just remove the DrawFocusRect?
if DrawFocusRect means these ugly dots around focused object then yes, i am looking exactly for this option
I have added the ini option draw_focus_rect for the next release of Everything
thank you very much, i hope this will remove the inconvenience
with this setting disabled, it can be impossible to know where the focus is
yes, i understand. but it is not a problem for me at all - i do not see a focus in windows explorer (since july of 2009) and in my opinion it is absolutely convenient
moreover, i always may press 'space' and thus i immediately get a focused object selected (though i almost never use this possibility)
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

version 1.3.2.642 with draw_focus_rect=0

the first focus rectangle (around file/folder) is not drawn
but the second focus rectangle is unfortunately drawn
void
Developer

Post by void »

I am not sure what you mean by
but the second focus rectangle is unfortunately drawn
Would it be possible to post a screen shot?

If you are referring to the the selection mask, make sure selection rectangle is set to Translucent mask in Tools -> Options -> View.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

by 'second focus rectangle' i mean the dots that are drawn around 13 selected objects on this screen shot:
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6094/focusa.png

thanks for the suggestion but 'translucent mask' is not what i need
void
Developer

Post by void »

"Everything" version 1.3.2.643b should remove the dotted focus rectangle completely.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

1.3.2.643 - everything works perfectly
thank you so much