Is there a way to ALWAYS keep the width of special columns unchanged?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Biff

Post by Biff »

E.g. columns like the date columns, path length, extension (opposed to path, name, etc.) do not need to change their with because the values never will exceed a special wide of the with. Whereas columns like Name, Path should be able to be adjusted in width to the different paths.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: Is there a way to ALWAYS keep the width of special columns unchanged?

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

I do not remember if I had proposed that also here but I sure did do it for some program like FreeCommander or XnViewMP; and two methods of approaching this: either constantly adjust the width of e.g. path when scrolling down and up a list with results - or - take the longest path from all of generated results [even if they are not currently visible] and use it as the width for all items for current Result List

Ideally user should be able to cycle through all three modes by clicking one and the same button, seeing its icon changed accordingly
Biff

Post by Biff »

either constantly adjust the width of e.g. path when scrolling down and up a list with results
Sorry, I am not quite sure to understand, but wouldn't doing that be pretty uncomfortable? Especially if you have to do it for many columns?
take the longest path from all of generated results [even if they are not currently visible] and use it as the width for all items for current Result List
The file / folder path? Why that one? And each column as wide as the longest column or path? So the list would be extremely wide? I guess, I do not understand, sorry.
Ideally user should be able to cycle through all three modes by clicking one and the same button, seeing its icon changed accordingly
Sorry, what modes, what button?
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Biff wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:12 pm
either constantly adjust the width of e.g. path when scrolling down and up a list with results
Sorry, I am not quite sure to understand, but wouldn't doing that be pretty uncomfortable? Especially if you have to do it for many columns?
The columns would in vast majority of cases constantly change, which I reckon for most people would be plain annoying

But:

A] you never know what data a user might deem as worthy so much that will bare duch annoyance

B] it would be one of two [three] ways [modes] of dealing with widths of columns

C] there are people for which constantly changing RGB lighting is not distracting and even pay extra money for it

take the longest path from all of generated results [even if they are not currently visible] and use it as the width for all items for current Result List
The file / folder path? Why that one? And each column as wide as the longest column or path? So the list would be extremely wide? I guess, I do not understand, sorry.
I did not say that

I wrote
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:27 pm [...]
width of e.g. path
[...]
i.e. made an example

Sorry, what modes, what button?
A currently not existing button in form of an icon, which icon would change accordingly to represent in which mode of adjusting Columns work: static [current], semi-dynamic [automatically adjusted once to the longest data], full dynamic [changing with scrolling]
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Biff

Post by Biff »

OK, so it seems there is no way to get some columns (the ones that do not change their widths much or at all and often as size, date columns, etc.) ALWAYS with the same width or with an automatically adapted width (e.g. with a right click on such a column and a click on an item in the context menu "Automatic width" or "Fixed width" or so or in "Organize filters" or the "Bookmarks" or so and get the other columns not fixed / automatic.

Many thanks!
Thy Grand Voidinesss

You can keep track of this topic and links in it to see if changes to behavior of Columns are implemented yet: viewtopic.php?t=12997
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biff

Post by Biff »

Ah, yes, a great thought. Thank you very much for the link!