Everything seems not to notice my edit to my bookmark

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

Everything seems not to notice my edit to my bookmark

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Macros_02.png
Macros_02.png (64.17 KiB) Viewed 613 times
I have created and used My Very First Bookmark. "WBU" for msWord BackUp files.
I know I need to modify it to use a variable date (but please let me have a shot at working THAT out first)
My Next Little Step was to modify/edit the bookmark and test the modified version.
Macros_04.png
Macros_04.png (75.03 KiB) Viewed 613 times
If I obtained 315 results on dm:<02/22/2023 then I expect fewer results as I roll back the date. Since I have worked for the past three days, rolling the date back from 22nd to 20th should produce fewer than 315 results.
Macros_06.png
Macros_06.png (86.63 KiB) Viewed 613 times
But it does not!
I made at least two essays, including exiting Everything and reloading it - in case Everything wasn't saving the edited bookmark filter.

This IS my first attempt, so most likely I have got off on the wrong foot, and would appreciate correction.
Thanks, Chris
void
Developer

Re: Everything seems not to notice my edit to my bookmark

Post by void »

Did you set a macro for your WBU bookmark? (Bookmarks -> Organized Bookmarks -> WBU -> Macro)
-If not, do you have a filter that is using the WBU macro?

Please try the following search:
bookmark:wbu

Do you see the correct results?
ChrisGreaves

Re: Everything seems not to notice my edit to my bookmark

Post by ChrisGreaves »

There is no pressure for these recent enquiries. I am still waiting for the new laptop. The van's tyres have probably frozen to the road surface ...
void wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 4:30 am Did you set a macro for your WBU bookmark? (Bookmarks -> Organized Bookmarks -> WBU -> Macro)
No. The guy who is writing the tutorial hasn't got quite that far yet (grin!)
-If not, do you have a filter that is using the WBU macro?
No. At this point in my career I was trying to get a grip on "bookmarks" before putting another toe in the water.
The good news is that my bookmark was able to do what I wanted it to do - identify all "Backup Of"s that exist, after my nightly backup to an external drive. Those files have been copied to a safe place off the machine, omitting from the result List "Backup Of"s of the past (now) four days sitting on my HDD.
Please try the following search: bookmark:wbu Do you see the correct results?
Yes!
I see 305 files, all starting with Backup of, and all dated feb 18th 2023 all the way back to 22nd August 2005.
My bookmark name is "wbu" and the text remains as "file:"backup of" dm:<02/20/2023"

So one way to run a bookmark is to use the bookmark: function. Is that correct?
I have already found another method (shown in Menu, Bookmarks way below)
Did you set a macro for your WBU bookmark? (Bookmarks -> Organized Bookmarks -> WBU -> Macro)
No, I had not.
Now I have!

Code: Select all

Bookmark name WBU
Custom file:"backup of" dm:<02/20/2023
Macro name MacroWBU
Shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+U
Macros_07.png
Macros_07.png (58.93 KiB) Viewed 582 times
I clear the search box (to <empty>), then use Ctrl+Shift+U, but there is no change in the Results List.

I exit Everything.
Including the various Tools, Options windows that are sitting around.
I use (Win7) Task Manager to make sure that there is no Everything in Applications, Tasks, or Services tabs.
I reload Everything, having given it enough time to settle down, save all changes etc.
Then I use Ctrl+Shift+U, but there is no change in the Results List.

(menu) Bookmarks, Show bookmarks, Double-click on the bookmark name works, in that it shows me 305 Backup of files.

My hurdle seems to be a combination of
(a) a Name for a bookmark,
(b) a Name of a macro
(c) where and when to use either name.

My first objective in all this was to be able to use a shortcut key combination to clear the search box and load (and execute) a pre-defined string. In this everything but my shortcut key seems to be working.
A second objective was to be able to amalgamate a small collection of Bookmarks to make a nightly task, as a simple example:
(1) purge all Backup of files
(2) purge all Recycle bin files
(3) purge all sandpit files wehose name starts with "EraseMe"
(4) purge all LOG files
etc. etc.
I understand that there are no flow-control loops in Everythings's macro services; I am used to that having spent a year playing with macros in Audacity.

(later) I went back to look in Bookmarks, Show, Edit and the macro name and shortcut key assignment were vacant!
I retyped them, exited the Bookmarks menu, returned. The macro and shortcut keys are in place.
Exit Everything
Reload Everything and Voila! The macro and shortcut keys are in place.

Now two days ago I could not get them to "stick", and half an hour ago they would not "stick". But now they have stuck.

Please park this on a shelf somewhere for now. I am sure that I am doing something wrong, somewhere. Especially now that it works.
I'll review this topic and all outstanding posts once I get the new machine set up, OK?
Thanks,
Chris

Cheers, Chris