hotkey option to toggle columns header at will, for both details and thumbnail mode?

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
hellen_dorandt89

hotkey option to toggle columns header at will, for both details and thumbnail mode?

Post by hellen_dorandt89 »

Can we please get a hotkey option to toggle search everythings columns header at will, for both in details and thumbnail mode?

There are allot of times when it just makes no sense to be seeing the column header, for example:

Above I can tell what every column represents, the blue lines also indicate the current sort by column.

At work, am often stuck with my small surface pro screen. So am always trying to save screen, to fit more in at once.
Everything goes to great lenghts to accomodate this (Hiding title bar, status bar etc)

The columns header is one of those things I sometimes just want to hide. I a few of the programs I use let me do this. For example Foobar:

Can we please get an INI setting to set the ON or OFF visibility. So that this INI setting can be attached to a bookmark , so that when a macro like Music: is entered into the search bar, it will hide the column header if it was on.

A hotkey option would also be very usefull for those times you want to manually toggle the headers visibility, no matter its state.

Please Mr Void, Let us have this feature.

PS: I know that currently, its possible to hide the header in thumbnail mode but this is only through INI setting and only for thumbnails.
void
Developer

Re: hotkey option to toggle columns header at will, for both details and thumbnail mode?

Post by void »

Setting the header height to 1 pixel kind-of works:
  • Copy and paste the following into your Everything search box:
    /header_high=1
  • Press ENTER in the Everything search box.
  • If successful, header_high=1 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
To restore the defaults, use:
/header_high=0
0 means use the system default height.

Use a height of -1 also kind-of works, but pushes the result list offscreen:
/header_high=-1

I have added to my TODO list to add an option to hide the headerbar.
Thank you for the suggestions.
hellen_dorandt89

Re: hotkey option to toggle columns header at will, for both details and thumbnail mode?

I tested your solution and it works, its just everything wont update the change until I close and reopen the window. is there a way to get every to redraw its window?
I am using everything 1.5 btw

Thanks for considering it and adding it to your list, I really appreciate it.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, no, there's no way to make this a simple toggle without closing and re-opening the window.
hellen_dorandt89

Still pretty cool, for now I will wrap an Autohotkey code around the INI setting. Thanks for helping me
void
Developer

Post by void »

One trick you could do now is:

From the Bookmark menu, click Add to bookmarks...
Change the Name to: Toggle Header
Change the Search to:
/header_high=!
/close
(Use Alt + Enter to add the second line)
Click OK.

When you activate this bookmark, it will toggle the header height between 0 and 1 and close the current window.
hellen_dorandt89

void wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:38 am One trick you could do now is:

From the Bookmark menu, click Add to bookmarks...
Change the Name to: Toggle Header
Change the Search to:
/header_high=!
/close
(Use Alt + Enter to add the second line)
Click OK.

When you activate this bookmark, it will toggle the header height between 0 and 1 and close the current window.
I installed the new updates and can now just use these:
/toggle-header
/show-header
/hide-header

Pretty neat. I also noticed you introduced a new hotkey entry in the hotkey editing tab of prefferences.
But Its not working at all when triggered. I tried a few different hotkeys. All that happens is the header flickers and that null error windows sound gets triggered.

My ini is set to show default header size.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for your reply hellen_dorandt89,

The keyboard command is currently broken and will be fixed in the next alpha update.
hellen_dorandt89

Excellent. Looking forward it!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1319a adds a keyboard command to toggle the result list header.

To create a keyboard shortcut to toggle the result list header:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab on the left.
  • To the right of Show commands containing, search for:
    header
  • Select View | Header.
  • Click Add....
  • Press a new keyboard shortcut and click OK.
  • Click OK.

Everything 1.5.0.1319a adds the following search commands:
/toggle-header
/show-header
/hide-header

Everything 1.5.0.1319a adds header to the layout:, add-layout: and remove-layout: search functions.