Everything 1.5.0.1275a (x64) double file display

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
mczerski

Everything 1.5.0.1275a (x64) double file display

Post by mczerski »

I have been using Everything on Windows 10 for some years and it is a grrrrrrrrrrrreat software, but I found recently that it displays some disks and files twice or even three times on the result list. I have also found that in the Index > NTFS section there are also doubled or even tripled discs. For instance I see there my c: disc three times: Windows_10 1 (C:) Offline, Windows_10 1 (C:) and and again Windows_10 1 (C:) Offline. And on the result list there are also three discs marked as c:. Apart from that weird feature, all Everything and all its other options work perfect!!! What should I do to get rid of this "surplus"? I hate loosing any valuable data in the database. Best regards – Marek
horst.epp

Re: Everything 1.5.0.1275a (x64) double file display

Post by horst.epp »

Check that you don't have added NTFS volumes in folder indexing.
Update your Everything version, currently we have Version 1.5.0.1315a (x64).
Force a rebuild of your database.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback Marek,

Please try removing any offline NTFS volumes:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Check Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • For each Offline NTFS volume:
    • Click Remove.
  • Click OK.

Duplicated results
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thanks for your reply!
I would like to make sure I do understand your question properly. You wrote that I should remove offline discs (which I interpret as "all offline discs") should be removed from the index db. And that’s what I would like to make clear.
In my Index > NTFS I have several offline discs that are not doubled in the NTFS Indexes and indeed they are currently offline, but will be used when I need them. Do you mean that I have to remove them as well? Since the last session with each of the disc, no changes have been made in their files. These are huge discs and I hate the idea that when I reconnect them to my PC I will have to wait until Everything indexes them.

Am I right based on your advice, that I should remove "extra" offline discs C (which are never offline) from NTFs 2 and that it will be a sufficient measure to get rid of the problem? The discs which are offline have not "extra" copies in NTFS indexes. I mean that I may leave all indexes marked offline in my NTFS indexes except those that are currently offline and not doubled or tripled? But am I right?

By the way, does all that mean that when I reconnect a disc which is now offline and so marked in the NTFS indexes, Everything will produce a new "extra" index for the disc that at that time will not be offline. In other words, does Everything create a new Index for a a reconnected disc which has already been indexed previously and has its index marked offline in the NTFS Indexes? If so it seems to me that users should control the size of the data base from time to time and remove "extra" offline discs, when the discs are not offline at that time.

Thanks for your continues help and consideration of a user’s problem.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Only remove the unwanted C: drives.
Leave the other offline volumes in your index.
mczerski

Post by mczerski »

Thanks a lot for your reply, and I do applogize with such delay. I had "a storm" of unexpected duties to perform.
I have followed your reply and it works perfect. And again. your advice occurred really helpful. Thanks!!!