IMDb Scout Mod (from IMDb site to Everything)

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
Purfview

IMDb Scout Mod (from IMDb site to Everything)

Post by Purfview »

Heyo, I was asked to add support for your nice tool, so here you go:

It can be enabled in the script's settings at "Other sites/tools" section ["Enable the 2nd search bar" option should be enabled too].
Btw, search is set to 8080 port.

GitHub link
raccoon

Re: IMDb Scout Mod (from IMDb site to Everything)

Post by raccoon »

Neat. But could you explain a little more about this tool, and how it interacts or integrates with Everything?

And what does it do again?
Purfview

Post by Purfview »

raccoon wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:31 am Neat. But could you explain a little more about this tool, and how it interacts or integrates with Everything?

And what does it do again?
It's a userscript. It can auto-search Everything, by Title or IMDb ID, if something is found then Everything icon's border is green, if not found then yellow. If you press on the icon it will open another tab with the search results.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Ah, so it uses the Everything http server. Options -> Plugins -> HTTP Server

That makes more sense now.
Purfview

Post by Purfview »

Yep, you need to enable HTTP Server.

Recently I added Everything to another script to search music from Discogs:
https://github.com/Purfview/Discogs-Scout
GDVX99

Post by GDVX99 »

This is a very impressive tool, which became clear after I got it working in FireFox. There was a hitch involved, where for a time it was not showing up at all and so could not do anything. Then I realized that this was all about Javascript, whose use was being suppressed by another installed extension, NoScript. (Other extensions that would have the same effect include Ublock Origin.) NoScript was itself very useful for added security at many websites. Once I made the appropriate exceptions in NoScript, Scout Mod revealed itself, and what it could do.

I like to have multiple browsers available, as fallback options and for cross-testing the occasional questionable browser results. Also, a couple of them have clearly superior Print engines, when it comes to capturing all (or most) of something for printing out, with accuracy.

My question is this: so far, I've been unable to get IMDB Scout Mod working in the Vivaldi browser, where I had installed it into the ViolentMonkey script manager extension. Vivaldi is Chromium based, as is Opera and some other browsers. I thought I had seen it mentioned on the 'supported' list, but could be mistaken about that. Vivaldi has Malwarebytes built-in, and I thought I had entered appropriate exceptions within those settings. If the browser was "tightened down" elsewhere for Javascript, I haven't uncovered that yet. Scout Mod is still a No Show there. (And no Scout Mod settings checkboxes can be checked, if the tool itself is not showing up at all.)

So I'm wondering if anyone reading this has gotten Scout Mod to work in Vivaldi ? If so, with what steps ? What am I missing here ? The Scout Mod direct support is apparently on Github. I may need to open an account there and re-post this query.