Everything fails to supply valid drive letter

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Chris

Everything fails to supply valid drive letter

Post by Chris »

Hi David,

you helped me fix this problem a few years ago. I think it was a reg hack, not sure. Here's what happens: right-click on a drive volume letter (say, C:) in the file explorer and say Everything search. The Everything window comes up. In the search box what comes up is ' "C:"" ' . In other words, a double quote, a capital C, a colon and then TWO double quotes. This is invalid and prevents Everything from working because it doesn't do a valid search no matter what you type. It's supposed to say ' "C:\" ' instead. The fix you recommended fixed this problem but I can't remember what it is. I've since recommended Everything to many people for XP and Win7. In every case, they have the same problem. In other words, Everything basically doesn't work for anyone because of this one typo! This seems such a pity since we all know Everything is the most kick-butt search utility ever written. So what's the work-around hack again? And why in the world isn't it integrated into future releases of Everything? Thanks!
therube

Re: Everything fails to supply valid drive letter

Post by therube »

Can not open any drive from Search Everything...context menu

Also if you're not running 451a, you may want to update to it: "Everything" version 1.2.1.451a.