Changing the filter notification to make it more visible?

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
N1755L

Changing the filter notification to make it more visible?

Post by N1755L »

Hello,

I created a filter and a keyboard shortcut, and it works beautifully and fast, however, I don't think I'm going to be wanting to make use of these filters 'cause it's scary... if I forget to use filters for a few months, I could possibly forget that I'd activated a filter, and then end up pulling my hair out for hours (heaven forbid days) because there is no indication, nothing I can see that would indicate that the filtering is active, not in the title bar, nor in the bottom status bar, so I might not notice that I'm excluding certain results that I'm trying to find: http://postimg.cc/5HbbKcw1

I can't see anywhere any indication that the filter is active, so I could possibly be searching to find files, and maybe I'd find some in the results, but at the same time I might not realize that I'm not seeing others in the results because I might not be aware that some of the results are being filtered out.

I would like to suggest to the author that if any such filters are active, they should show up right in the title bar, as you can see in the above photo, maybe the title bar would say something like: "*.mp4 - Everything -- Exclude filter active: !?:\*recycl*bin*\*" or "*.mp4 with Exclude Filter active: !?:\*recycl*bin*\* -- Everything"

Oops, I just noticed the name of my filter at the very bottom right corner. I had the window partially pushed off the bottom corner of the screen.

Ok, so then I'll change the subject of this post to "Changing the filter notification to make it more visible", since the filter notification being on the title bar is most likely to be seen/noticed, while the notification being at the bottom-right might be missed.

Now that I know, I know, and I likely won't forget, since I'm going to create other filters and will be using them from time-to-time, but for newer users, the notification being on the title bar would be better, would it not? Unless there's programming difficulties to put it up there, or maybe it would take too much time to change compared to the long list of more important changes/fixes to be done?

Thank you.
void
Developer

Re: Changing the filter notification to make it more visible?

Post by void »

Please consider showing the filter bar:
  • In Everything, from the View menu, click Filters.
Drag the divider between the search box and filter bar to the left to move the filter bar to the left side.

I will consider an option to show the active filter in the title bar.
Thanks for the suggestion.
N1755L

Re: Changing the filter notification to make it more visible?

Post by N1755L »

void wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:10 am Please consider showing the filter bar:
  • In Everything, from the View menu, click Filters.
Drag the divider between the search box and filter bar to the left to move the filter bar to the left side.

I will consider an option to show the active filter in the title bar.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Oh, well now that I have that box up there on the upper left, I wouldn't really need anything more, would I? This works beautifully like this. Now I can't be accidentally filtering without being aware, and this drop-down looks to be really handy, I think I'll be using this quite a lot, especially now knowing that I can create/add custom filters to this drop-down.

I was about to say "Forget about that suggestion", but then, what if someone didn't know about this drop-down since it might not be showing by default, and if one had triggered a filter by accident? The reason I'm saying this is that, I think I might have a vague memory of once having done this, accidentally triggered a filter and thinking that there might be something missing in the results, and being puzzled as to why Everything was not finding certain things.

Apart from that, the filter box on the bar as you suggested is perfect.