Everything window is 'Always On Top'

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Arbie

Everything window is 'Always On Top'

Post by Arbie »

I'm using Version 1.3.3.658b (x86) under Windows 7 Ultimate, with AMD graphics.

In the past few days, Everything has begun keeping its window "always on top". I haven't done anything on my PC (graphics driver changes) that might account for this. However, I did install the "Important" MS Windows updates of last week. Of course I have looked for such a setting in Everything's Options and not found it.

Any ideas on this?

Thanks for the great program, and sorry to see the spammer in your forum.
AnonyMouse

Re: Everything window is 'Always On Top'

Post by AnonyMouse »

Have you tried a CTRL+T (two keys, the CTRL key and the T key) ?

On version 1.3.2.649b, this is also available under the "View", "On Top" menu and you can then choose the option(s) from there.

Mousey
Arbie

Post by Arbie »

AnonyMouse wrote:Have you tried a CTRL+T (two keys, the CTRL key and the T key) ?

On version 1.3.2.649b, this is also available under the "View", "On Top" menu and you can then choose the option(s) from there.

Mousey

Yeah, well... go ahead and make it look easy... ;-}

I don't know how I could overlook something so obvious which I knew had to be there.

Anyway, thanks for the solution.

Arbie
AnonyMouse

Post by AnonyMouse »

:D

No problem - I guess you might have hit that particular control sequence by mistake.

Hey, I've been in IT for 27 years now, and I still get caught by the simple ones :lol:

Glad you're sorted.

Mousey
hairypaulsack

Post by hairypaulsack »

Thank you for this, I too was fooled. Yes, had I slowed down a little I would most likely have caught it, but even after reading your comment about it being under the view menu I missed it 2x with a quick check in the settings for a duplicate/alternate location for the settings of 'On Top'.

I think the issue was that it wasn't named, "always on top" as is the conventional standard. I understand why the it was done like this, just wonder if it should be named always on top rather than on top. Maybe I need to revamp the observational skills, but having it not starting with an A completely threw me off.

Does this not belong a place in the settings as well? Under the view settings or the results?

Maybe I should write something in the suggestion area? I don't know where to find the view count on this post as I came in through google.
Subhuti

Post by Subhuti »

Thank you for this answer, to the original poster, Anony Mouse!

When suddenly I noticed Search Everything was "broken", I had JUST been fooling around with the Registry, with something pertaining to Explorer folders and how they are shown, and I was CONVINCED it had to do with this!

Thank goodness I searched Google for "why is voidtools everything on top" before beginning to try all sorts of changes to the Registry!

By the way, thanks for THE BEST PROGRAM EVER !

When I first tried this program, I had never seen anything like it. I was dumbstruck at the speed of it. And not only at how searching through the whole bleeping database was faster than I can hit a key and release it again (!), but at how quickly it catalogued a whole harddisk the first time! A million files, you say? Oh, maybe 15 seconds?

Ever since I first tried this program, I think I must have used it every single time I have sat down at my computer!

I love it, and I think it's wonderful. Thank you.