Not seeing items / real names in Recycle Bin and experiencing filtering drawbacks

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Not seeing items / real names in Recycle Bin and experiencing filtering drawbacks

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

Steps to reproduce:

#1] I create file
test.txt
on volume C and P

#2] I see them on the list in main window of Everything as
test.txt
in both the Column of Name and of Display Name

#3] I delete them

#4] I now see them as gibberish
$IS8XDTA.txt
and
$IH77PO4.txt
in my Column of Name and still as
test.txt
in the Column of Display Name

#5] After writing in the Search Edit box e.g.
test.txt
or
test .txt
they are not shown on the list with now filtered down results

#6] After switching to a Filter set up beforehand with such options

Code: Select all

Search: :\$recycle.bin\ !$I <search: | displayname:search:> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;length;path;displayname;type;name;
Macro: bin<search>
I see them back on the list i.e. with Search Edit box still having in it e.g.
test.txt
or
test .txt
[or any other appropriate filtering expression]

So my question is: how am I suppose to know that a file named
test.txt
is or is not present on my indexed drives without a need of using a Filter with the above settings? Should not the default Filter named Everything be able to show it in case when it has been moved to the Recycle Bin?

I have Column of Display Name turned on and it shows me
test.txt
in that Column when this file no matter if it is residing in some folder or in the Recycle Bin - but when I try to filter it out using the basic Search Edit feature it disappears until I add to it another layer in form of more advanced search feature of Filter. Where is the logic in this? Or am I just experiencing some bug?

I am using Everything 1.5.0.1356a x64 Portable on Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2 x64
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
void
Developer

Re: Not seeing items / real names in Recycle Bin and experiencing filtering drawbacks

Post by void »

This is expected.

Everything shows the true filenames as they are on disk.

Filenames in the $recycle.bin folder are:
$r... for the original data.
$i... for the original filename information.

The recycle bin you see in Windows Explorer is a virtual folder.
(not a real folder on disk)

If you would like to search the recycle bin for the original filename, please try the following search:

\$recycle.bin displayname:"test.txt"

display-name:

To add the virtual recycle bin folder to your index:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Folders tab on the left.
  • Click Add Custom....
  • Change the Path to: Recycle Bin
  • Click OK.
  • Click OK.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: Not seeing items / real names in Recycle Bin and experiencing filtering drawbacks

void wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:09 am This is expected.
[...]
Could not there be a setting somewhere in Options, that would make Everything always look for [if I understood the whole shebang correctly] the Display Name? I myself even when searching intentionally within Recycle Bin do it 99.999% of the time with intention of looking for and finding the normal name and not its Recycle Bin's coded equivalent

void wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:09 am If you would like to search the recycle bin for the original filename, please try the following search:

\$recycle.bin displayname:"test.txt"
[...]
This works- but it is even more inconvenient than having to remember that I need to use that Filter of mine

void wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:09 am To add the virtual recycle bin folder to your index:
[...]
This changes nothing- i.e. I still am forced to use that Filter after deleting an item in order to see it on the list

All in all, in my opinion, user should not be burdened with having to remember about this dichotomy and thus be required to use special ways of finding items just because they happen to reside in the Recycle Bin. Those extra steps should only be reserved for a case when user is looking specifically in e.g.
P:\$RECYCLE.BIN
and not when just looking everywhere [i.e. using the default Filter of Everything]
void
Developer

Post by void »

No filter should be required when indexing the virtual recycle bin folder.

Searching for:

test.txt

should show the following result:

Recycle Bin\test.txt
therube

Post by therube »

Ah, the pertinent part which you nor I picked up on, at first:
Click Add Custom....
So not "Add...", but rather "Add Custom...", & with that, "test" will find "test" in "recycle bin/".

Mouseover on Add Custom... says, "Add a virtual folder or path with an environmental variable.".
(I didn't realize that either.)
Thy Grand Voidinesss

void wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:21 am No filter should be required when indexing the virtual recycle bin folder.
[...]
Yes, that is correct

Just please reconsider how the Recycle Bin is being handled by default, i.e. when user is not utilizing a Filter for it and / or indexing it as an also manually added Folder
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Re: Not seeing items / real names in Recycle Bin and experiencing filtering drawbacks [SOLVED]

This has stopped working for me

Under the

Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders

I still have

Recycle Bin
added - and yet whatever I delete something it disappears from the list in main window, until I switch
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:48 pm [...]
to a Filter set up beforehand with such options

Search: :\$recycle.bin\ !$I <search: | displayname:search:> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;length;path;displayname;type;name;
[...]

Currently I am using Everything 1.5.0.1366a MOD1 x64 Portable
Thy Grand Voidinesss

[And this issue has apparently nothing to do with this one viewtopic.php?t=13224 because for the moment being indexing of my volume C works A-OK]
Thy Grand Voidinesss

I have made some new observations

A] When using that Filter of mine I delete multiple instances of such files from various volumes

test.txt
test.txt.txt
and enter in the box of Search Edit

test.txt
then I will be shown both of those files originating from multiple volumes [i.e. multiple instances of them, each correctly with a different Path]

B] When using that Filter of mine I delete multiple instances of such file from various volumes

test file.txt
and enter in the box of Search Edit

test file.txt
then I will be shown nothing. But if I put it in quotes i.e. search for

"test file.txt"
I will be shown this file originating from multiple volumes [i.e. multiple instances of it, each correctly with a different Path]

C] When not using that Filter of mine [i.e. intending to see everything] I delete multiple instances of such files from various volumes

test.txt
test.txt.txt
test file.txt
and enter in the box of Search Edit whatever combination I only get to see incorrectly always one instance of each, with their Path being described as
Recycle Bin
So apparently this
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:15 am This has stopped working for me

Under the

I still have

Recycle Bin
added - and yet whatever I delete something it disappears from the list in main window, until I switch
Thy Grand Voidinesss wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:48 pm [...]
to a Filter set up beforehand with such options

[...]

Currently I am using Everything 1.5.0.1366a MOD1 x64 Portable
has been fixed as currently I am using version 1.5.0.1367a - but not fixed up entirely

D] A somewhat stand-alone Recycle Bin issue: viewtopic.php?p=64517
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please change your filter search to:

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<search:> | displayname:<search:>> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;system.recycle.deletedfrom;name;type
You will need to wrap search: inside < and > to pass all the search terms to displayname:
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

void wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:51 pm Please change your filter search to:

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<search:> | displayname:<search:>> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;system.recycle.deletedfrom;name;type
This search doesn't show any results for me.
Recycle.bin definitely contains files.

Post by NotNull »

This can't be used directly in the search bar as this is a filter definition:

Name = Mühlkorb (or whatever you like)
Search =

Macro = <search>

Or:
Name = Mühlkorb (or whatever you like)
Search =

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<$param:> | displayname:<$param:>> columns:dm;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted;extension;size;path;length;displayname;system.recycle.deletedfrom;name;type
Macro = (leave empty)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

NotNull wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:04 pm This can't be used directly in the search bar as this is a filter definition:
Thanks, understand it now.
I made a filter with macro name wb and a bookmark which refers to it.
The filter columns can be much shorter for me, it's now:

:\$recycle.bin\ !$I <<$param:> | displayname:<$param:>> columns:displayname;system.recycle.deletedfrom;dm;size;property-system:system.recycle.datedeleted
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Using this
void wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:51 pm [...]

[...]
as my new Search expression in that Filter for mine dealt with reported in this post viewtopic.php?p=64519#p64519] the A-B issue of having to use quotes [which I no longer have to do]; so thank you for upgrading that code

But the issue C [and partially D] from that post are still relevant

And also the problem from post viewtopic.php?p=64107#p64107 is still relevant - i.e.my initial issue of not seeing an item that is deleted when using the default Everything [no]Filter is back, despite me still having Recycle Bin folder added to