What is a filter?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
ChrisGreaves

What is a filter?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I figured out that "A filter is a stored search string to which a descriptive name must be assigned. The filter can be executed with a named macro and/or a shortcut key."
So far so good.
FilterRework_06.png
FilterRework_06.png (35.48 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
I decided that right now I am using "about:keys" quite a lot, so I executed it from the Search Box, chose Search, Add to filters, (that's when I discovered that a filter must have a name, or else it won't be stored with OK), assigned a short macro name "cak"(1) and a shortcut key combination Ctrl+Alt+K:
FilterRework_07.png
FilterRework_07.png (26.94 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
The filter is named, has a macro "cak" and a shortcut key assigned.

Back in Everything, into the search box I type "cak:" and <Enter> and the list about:keys does NOT appear.
Nothing stops me: I use Ctrl+Alt+K and the list about:keys does NOT appear.
This stops me.

(1) "about:keys" is more of a command than a search string, so "about:keys" does NOT satisfy my definition of a Filter ("A filter is a stored search string ...")
or (2) I still don't understand Filters and all that jazz
or (3) <Your favorite suggestion here>

I am making progress, I know, because every now and then I find myself using Everything to discover something that I am writing about; that is, I am developing memory-tracks about Everything in my brain. But oh, ...

Thanks, Chris
(1)My apologies; I realize now that that three-letter abbreviation has disgusting connotations; I chose that mnemonic to parallel my shortcut key combination and it is late in the day and I don't want to go back and change everything and make new screenshots ... C.
void
Developer

Re: What is a filter?

Post by void »

Instead of a filter, please try using a bookmark for about:keys

Filters do not activate search commands.
Bookmarks will activate search commands when opened from the bookmark menu or bookmark select dialog. (not from a macro)
ChrisGreaves

Re: What is a filter?

Post by ChrisGreaves »

void wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:03 am Filters do not activate search commands.
Bookmarks will activate search commands when opened from the bookmark menu or bookmark select dialog. (not from a macro)
Thank you, Void.
Little by little I am trying to surmount a hurdle (and it is only a hurdle) about the strict definitions of identifier, filter, search string, macro, bookmark, search commands, and shortcut keys. Let me spend a bit more time on this, and comer up with a more rigorous set of definitions. We know, for example, that shortcut key combinations are in short supply, but the supply of macro names is practically unlimited.
Cheers, Chris