Why are the defaults the the way they are + help needed

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
TheBestPessimist

Why are the defaults the the way they are + help needed

Post by TheBestPessimist »

# Part 1: What I want

Right now I use Everything from FlowLauncher, as a general purpose search, nothing more. I want to search for subparts of the full path, and to get my folders and files.

A sample of how i use it is this: https://i.imgur.com/TX4C2fy.png

My settings are
- sort by `RunCount`, by clicking the column in Everything
- Match Path
- Ignore Punctuation
- Ignore White-space

I'm thinking that my workflow would be even better if i could have this as default: `sort:runcount;path` + `Mix files and folders` (+ the above).
As far as i can see there are some problems with this: If i use `sort:runcount;path`, either by typing that, or by using the `GUI, View -> Sort By -> Advanced Sort` then files and folders are segregated, and for some reason i cannot use `Mix files and folders` with multi-sort. The option is disabled in the menu.

Is there a way to have my sorting done by multiple columns + mix files and folders?
Is there a way to make this the default, so that i can use it from Flow Launcher via the Everything API?

# Part 2: Why are the defaults the way they are?

In my opinion, Everything is so much more useful if it has the following turned on:

- Match Path
- Ignore Punctuation
- Ignore White-space
- Sort by Full Path

After some further usage, maybe the user will discover `RunCount`, and want to make the setup i presented in Part 1.

Why is Everything not setting those by default?
Would you consider making them defaults, to help possible Everything users start faster, and use Everything better right from the start?
I remember when i started using Everything i missed `Match Path` a lot, and it took me a while to find it, and until i found it I never understood "why is everyone praising Everything so much? its search sucks big time!"
horst.epp

Re: Why are the defaults the the way they are + help needed

Post by horst.epp »

Why should the defaults just according your special requirements.
Your suggestions may be fine for your purposes but they are absolutely wrong for normal usage.
Match patch and sort by by Full path are nonsense for normal searches
not using a louncher.
Everything allows you to set whatever you want as defaults.
TheBestPessimist

horst.epp wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:25 am but they are absolutely wrong for normal usage.
This is an interesting discussion. What is, for you, _normal usage_?
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

In my opinion, Everything is so much more useful if it has the following turned on:

- Match Path
- Ignore Punctuation
- Ignore White-space
- Sort by Full Path
i may totally agree concerning the items: 1, 4

for me, the 'Match Path' is an absolute must-have (as the default setting)

while the 'Sort by Full Path' is even more important, especially since this awesome update
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TheBestPessimist wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:50 am# Part 2: Why are the defaults the way they are?
The short answer to that is basically the same answer to why we have two hands, five fingers on each hand, and 2**5 teeth: It's just the way that things evolved.

But your question is valid.
I am new to Everything, but I have found that I can have Everything (1.5a) load and start with a default search string T:\Greaves\Training\Everything\Tutorial ext:doc. I suspect that you will be able to issue a <search string> that sets the various switches to the values that you find most useful for your work.
Customizing_10.png
Customizing_10.png (64.9 KiB) Viewed 3066 times
To get this far, from the menu choose Tools, Options, Home, set Custom and then type in a regular search string. The next time you start Everything the program should default to that search.

My limited experience to date is that Everything can be configured in at least two ways - either via the menu system, or by typing a command that can be entered into the search box. My feeling is that you might be able to set those defaults in this manner.

Too I am starting to learn about Search strings, Filters, Bookmarks, Macros, and Shortcut keys, and since by definition we always need to tell Everything how to search for what we want to locate, it seems that you could create a small set of "pre-settings" such as "Ignore Punctuation and Ignore White-space" and use those as macros ("expandable strings") as a preface to a general search. In that way you could have sixteen variations of your four settings available as "default conditionss" for any search that you prepare.

My conclusion: Whenever I find Everything lacking in a feature, the most likely reason is that I have not yet looked deep enough, or learned enough.

Please post your findings here; I shall be following your work with deep interest.
Cheers, Chris
TheBestPessimist

@ChrisGreaves thanks for your suggestion about "default search". I'm already using that!

However that does not fix my original issue:

> If i use `sort:runcount;path`, either by typing that, or by using the `GUI, View -> Sort By -> Advanced Sort` [...] i cannot use `Mix files and folders` [...]. The option is disabled in the menu.

Maybe that's a bug which should be fixed?

> In that way you could have sixteen variations of your four settings available as "default conditions" for any search that you prepare.

I don't want multiple variations. I am fine with being able to search by typing substrings from the path, interleaved with spaces.

Again from OP:

> A sample of how i use it is this: https://i.imgur.com/TX4C2fy.png

Typing `wall arts` is enough for me to get all the matches from my desired folder (get all files and folders recursively): `D:\all\Wallpapers\Artstation\`.

Now i need to get those results sorted properly.

And i use this search pattern a lot: substrings from "key folders" (aka those which i remember) with space key in between because it's so easy.

----

I'm still waiting for @horst.epp's response:

> What is, for you, _normal usage_?

I believe knowing how people use Everything is important if anyone would consider changing the defaults.

----

I would also like to get @void's opinion about these points.

- Is the `Mix files and folders` a bug?
- Why are the defaults the way they are? Would you consider changing them to make initial usage of Everything much easier, and help possible users to like this great piece of software much better?
- Bonus: How could i use that multisort + file/folder mix with the current API/SDK?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

Normal usage is for me not trying Everything as a Louncher or replacement of the Start menu.
The primary goal since years is using it as search tool with the GUI.
Also the integrated usage from some file managers are running fine with the default settings.
For example finding all locations of a given file name doesn't work with enabled match path.

The current default settings are working since a long time for many users.
Only because they don't fit your special needs doesn't mean they are wrong.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

And another opinion:
  • Sort by run-count is my default. It puts most accessed files/folders at the top. Quite often I don't even have to type any search thanks to that.
    Besides: switching from runcount to another sort method is trivial, just click the resultlist header. switching from another sort to runcount requires more effort.
  • Match Path is disabled. With this enabled, I get way too many results. I am typing part of the path (plus backslash) if I need to zoom in further. An example: cmd m32\ to find cmd.exe in c:\windows\system32
  • Ignore Punctuation and Ignore White-space are new in version 1.5. I tested them and never touched them after that.
    When the beta phase starts, I will take another look.
So .. different people, different needs.

TheBestPessimist wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:27 am - Is the `Mix files and folders` a bug?
No. Mix files and folders requires the primary sort method to be indexed because of performance.
Run count is not indexed in the database. It even isn't in the database at all; it is in Run History.csv, IF Run History is enabled in the settings (menu:Tools > Options > History).

TheBestPessimist wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:27 am I believe knowing how people use Everything is important if anyone would consider changing the defaults.
TheBestPessimist wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:27 am Would you consider changing them to make initial usage of Everything much easier, and help possible users to like this great piece of software much better?
These two don't fit together, unless you are the one that knows what "all" other Everything users like.
Maybe a poll on the forum? Although that has the disadvantage that you will get the voices of the "loud minority" instead of the "silent majority"
TheBestPessimist

Thank you for the input @NotNull!

One thing which i see you don't touch (and nobody else did) is the fact that i want to sort by 2 columns: sort by both run count and path at the same time, in this order.
From this perspective, what _I_ would like Everything to do is to mix files and folders together, sorted by path, when they have the same run count.

You could see my sorting desire as the SQL
```sql
select *
from Everything
order by RunCount, Path
```
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I did touch that:
NotNull wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:42 am primary sort method
BTW: Consider posting more often. Every time I see your username, it puts a smile on my face :D
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TheBestPessimist wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:27 am @ChrisGreaves thanks for your suggestion about "default search". I'm already using that!
Hi; Just to let you know that I have seen your post and will reply later today. I am heading out of town to off to Catalina to spend the day trying to convince a local church that the latest version of QuickBooks is a bit of overkill for a small and remote parish church.
Thanks for your involvement.
Cheers, Chris
ovg

Post by ovg »

horst.epp wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:10 am
Also the integrated usage from some file managers are running fine with the default settings.
For example finding all locations of a given file name doesn't work with enabled match path.

The current default settings are working since a long time for many users.
Only because they don't fit your special needs doesn't mean they are wrong.
NotNull wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:42 am So .. different people, different needs.

+100500

@TheBestPessimist

Please don't fix what isn't broken
You can always tweak it to make it work for you, as Chris Greaves has already mentioned.
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

TheBestPessimist wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:27 am- Is the `Mix files and folders` a bug?
- Bonus: How could i use that multisort + file/folder mix with the current API/SDK?
Hi TheBestPessimist , that took me longer than I thought!
I see that several points have been addressed, and (bonus!) by members much more knowledgeable than am I.

(a) default settings: I suspect that you will be able to customize the out-of-box defaults with appropriate settings in the Everything.INI file, but I lack the confidence to render advice on that, excepting "back up your Everything.INI to an offline device before you start". I am sure that you know that already.
(b) sorting on (nested) multiple keys: This too is beyond my current level of Everything knowledge, but it has piqued my interest. In general across computing, any table or multi-column list (such as Everything's Result List) can be processed by a multi-column sort. If it is not yet available in Everything, it will be. Our overworked developer is not so much developing an application as much as trying to make every user of Everything a Happy Camper!
Including You.

Cheers, Chris