Complet(ish) list of file extensions for various file formats

General discussion related to "Everything".
Thy Grand Voidinesss

Complet(ish) list of file extensions for various file formats

Post by Thy Grand Voidinesss »

[Coming out from this discussion viewtopic.php?p=48144 and other similar topics from different forums]

Here is a list of very extended alphabetical lists [including niche formats and obsolete ones, propriety files and file languages originating from variety of platforms thus not limited only to Windows] of all kind of file extensions associated with

● archive ● data image ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12993
● audio ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12992
● caption ● subtitles ▶ viewtopic.php?t=13017
● comic ▶ viewtopic.php?p=55517
● comic ● e-book ▶ viewtopic.php?t=13117
● configuration ● settings ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12991
● database ▶ viewtopic.php?t=13118
● document ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12990
● e-mail ● usenet message ▶ viewtopic.php?t=13119
● executable ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12989
● font ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12988
● graphic ▶ viewtopic.php?t=13148
● graphic - 2D ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12987
● graphic - 3D ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12986
● graphic - raster ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12985
● graphic - vector ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12984
● icon ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12983
● link ● shortcut ▶ viewtopic.php?p=54720
● playlist ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12981
● script ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12980
● spreadsheet ● workbook ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12979
● text ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12978
● video ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12977
● web ● network ▶ viewtopic.php?t=12976

type of file formats

Fell free to post new complementary formats and / or comments about mistakes on those lists
Last edited by Thy Grand Voidinesss on Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InfoR3aper

Re: Complet(ish) list of file extensions for various file formats

Post by InfoR3aper »

Though I understand why you posted file extensions for things like 7zip like this:

.7Z
.7Z.001
.7Z.002
.7Z.003
.7Z.004
.7Z.005
.7Z.006

By any chance do you have a copy of your lists without the serialized versions?

I have been going through some of your lists and am not completely sure which ones are serialized of the same file format and which are not.

I would like to take your lists and mine and combine them with the dupes removed. Just the serialized ones cause me a bit of an issue in the dedupe process.

That being said, here is a list of 13,124 file extensions, and 10,008 Unique extensions that not only have the extension but a description of which app/program etc uses them.

Category>EXT>Description>Popularity

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... ue&sd=true

The reason for the dupes, is that for example the .bak is used by many different programs like say SQL Server to create a backup file of a Database.
Thy Grand Voidinesss

InfoR3aper wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:02 pm [...]
By any chance do you have a copy of your lists without the serialized versions?
[...]
No I do not

But if you, like me, do not know how to use regular expressions or do not know the developer-like options of advanced text editors, go ask ChatGPT for a way to [in your case] remove the same data with the usage of Notepad++ or Notepad3, which is what I was unitizing during creations of those compilations of mine

InfoR3aper wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:02 pm [...]
here is a list
[...]
If only I had access to this list back then when I was compiling my lists...

I want to add those extension to my lists - but as I did not add blindly all file formats but for most of them actually read their description / function first and only then decide if / where to add them, this will not be happening anytime soon

InfoR3aper wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:02 pm The reason for the dupes
[...]
any different programs like
[...]
But of course they do - and thinking about having to dig through them again makes me sick
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

Actually hold off a day or two.

I am building a new list that seems to be much larger.

Also I will copy and paste your extensions into files so I can line yours up with the new list I am making.

Incase you are NOT aware EmEditor is a large file editor, it can open up to a 248GB file in windows.

One of the best features it has is taking 2 different files where each file has a common Column name and merge the data.

To give you a small idea, I regularly take 2 different data sets which have over 10 million rows each, and different data in each file but 1 common column. In less than 60 seconds it merges those files without any errors.

EmEditor is much like Everything, super powerful and super fast compared to anything I have ever tried.

So once I get the lists finished I can combine yours and mine based on common categories etc.

If by any chance you have what you posted inside single text files (or other) and you could send them to me that would save me copy/pasting time!
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

Here is Version 2 of my file extension db's

This version has:

22,190 Extensions
15,869 Unique

Ignore EXT2 column, that is for my internal use until I merge multiple Extension DB's I am going to combine.

I have NOT yet merged the first xlsx with this one, I am assuming this latest version has everything the first does.

But since I HATE assuming something I will merge them to make sure.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... e&sd=true

Within a few days I will try and merge these 2 lists, plus all the ones from Thy Grand Voidinesss
Thy Grand Voidinesss

InfoR3aper wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:31 pm [...]
I can combine yours and mine based on common categories etc.
[...]
I fear that automatic process will clutter them more than they already are

And on top of that: my lists follow the sort order of special characters equal to this used by FreeCommander. I would had used in them my own, utilizing order of e.g.
( { [
instead of
( [ {
, but apparently currently it is not possible in both FreeCommander and Notepad3 to change how signs are arranged on a sign-by-sign basis

And I have no idea what alphabetical order is used by your software

InfoR3aper wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:31 pm If by any chance you have what you posted inside single text files (or other) and you could send them to me that would save me copy/pasting time!
I do- I have just sent you a link via PM
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

Here are the 19,374 file extensions from Thy Grand Voidinesss

Soon I will merge all 3 lists into a Master index

InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

I fear that automatic process will clutter them more than they already are
Trust me when I say the way I handle data and merging stuff there will not be clutter.

Personally I am not really interested in the Extension info to use inside Everything (maybe I will a later date though).

I am a researcher, so knowing specific file extensions and what app uses them etc has far more value to me.

And I have no idea what alphabetical order is used by your software
That is the advantage of excel, anyone can simply copy and paste the data into whatever editor etc they want and let it sort them. I am very aware that a lot of Windows Apps sort things completely differently.

A sort in 1 app can be totally different in another.

But again the sort order for me does not make a big deal, since I use the extension lists to isolate the extensions I am specifically looking for.
eagleeyez

Post by eagleeyez »

I would use Notepad++ for this if I was you
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

eagleeyez wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:26 am I would use Notepad++ for this if I was you

I have never used Notetab++ and never plan to.

I tried it a long time ago but too much of PITA trying to learn new tools when I have much better options.

Below is an example of EmEditor taking 2 files with a common column name.

1st is 9,890,757 lines
2nd is 7,514,347 lines

Generates a new file in seconds where all file are lined up by the 2 common columns

Simply deleting the lines NOT containing TV series gives me 1 file with ALL TV episode data lined up

Result is 7,514,346 lines on TV Series Info

This is the IMDB Database

Here is small Video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/165vRCv ... fb/preview

Even using a database like mysql cannot do this any where near this speed!

As I said before EmEditor can handle up to 248GB files, which I have thousands of.

This app is the BEST out there for cleaning and merging data, especially merging a list based on names, words, or other common columns in them.
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Can I has a copy of your merged IMDB db?
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

raccoon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:24 am Can I has a copy of your merged IMDB db?
When I get it finished I will share here for everyone.

I will be making several versions since I do things a little different than others

Hooping to get back to it very soon, even with my tricks and tools it is still a lot of work to create cleaned proper lists
Thy Grand Voidinesss

InfoR3aper wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:45 pm
raccoon wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:24 am Can I has a copy of your merged IMDB db?
When I get it finished I will share here for everyone.
[...]
This is getting off-topic; but:

Would you say that using a TSV file and in that EmEditor would be an affective way to store my own personal IMDb list of watched, reviewed, categorized [i.e. in overall somehow marked with my own values] entries; and with working hyperlinks?

I have been using for this purpose for yeas now XLSX in Excel 2010. But after filling up around 125 000 cells this ever-growing thus ever-slowing database became apparently unusable - because if in a heat of workflow I will forget myself and ty to revert some change by pressing CTRL + Z then whole Excel gets forever the hour glass for the mouse pointer and I am forced to close it and open the file [with my recent work being lost]

I was thinking of migrating this data to some element of LibreOffice - but what I need within a table stored data is a highlight feature of both row and column pin-pointing me to an active cell [which in Excel I achieve by using third party Kutools addon]; and I do not know if either LibreOffice or EmEditor have it
InfoR3aper

Post by InfoR3aper »

really your best bet is to clean it up, then everything inside SQLite Browser https://sqlitebrowser.org/dl/

The portable edition is great since you do not even need to install anything, just put it someplace safe that you can easily find the browser and DB.

When you run SQLite Browser it will literally start a front end website on your local machine to be able to access it and search through it using various columns