Bug: Duplicate results due to driveletter

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
catweazle

Bug: Duplicate results due to driveletter

Post by catweazle »

Hej Void,

found a bug regarding regarding different external drives (fat/ntfs) having the same drive letter.

Hope to describe situation clear enough...:
- searched for keywords and got the result list mostly correct
- on one particular drive (letter I: in that case) the entry had been listed three times, visually exactly the same
- actually that file is correctly located on that drive, it's a ntfs drive

settings for ntfs and fat drives are:
- automatically include new fixed / removable volumes -> on
- automatically reomve offline volumes -> off
- monitor changes -> on

history of that drive letter:
- had been assigned as fixed letter for an internal drive about ~ 1 week ago
- till that point it had been assigned dynamically to newly attached drives
- Everything listed two drives (offline) on fat and two drives on NTFS (offline) in addition to that actual online drive on ntfs - with I: as letter

how I fixed that result list for me:
- removed two offline I:-drives on Everything-Options-Indexes-NTFS -> no change in result list
- removed two offline I:-drives on Everything-Options-Indexes-FAT -> 2 of 3 entries in result list has been removed, all is correct now

I assume, this behaviour could be reproduced if you scan an (external ?) FAT drive with a certain drive letter, power off that drive, and then scan a different drive with NTFS on the same letter. But not sure about that.

btw. I'm missing a "rescan now" button in "Indexes-NTFS", as it is in "Indexes-FAT"... ;)

regards, Catweazle
void
Developer

Re: Bug: Duplicate results due to driveletter

Post by void »

Thank you for the issue report Catweazle,

I have put this on my Things to fix list.
void
Developer

Re: Bug: Duplicate results due to driveletter

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1339a fixes an issue with monitoring changes to and reading properties from the wrong volume when a drive letter is shared.

This issue still exists for folder indexes under Tools -> Options -> Folders as this type of indexing doesn't track volume information.
This fix only applies to FAT and network drive indexes under Tools -> Options -> FAT / Tools -> Options -> Network Drives.

There is also still an issue with forcing a refresh of properties with F5.
Pressing F5 can force Everything to load properties from the wrong volume that is sharing a drive letter.
For now, you'll need to press F5 again once the correct drive is inserted.
This issue doesn't apply to indexed properties.