run_as_admin sometimes changes to 1 in portable version

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
sbrblz

run_as_admin sometimes changes to 1 in portable version

Post by sbrblz »

I have been doing some quick testing of 1319 build with a NAS that we have. Since we are only need to search the NAS I figured I can set up all the settings on 1 computer and copy the portable folder to other computers, without needing to install. When the program is initially run, it prompts on how to run the program. I choose manual configuration since admin rights or service are not needed.

Things that I did while using the program included adding folders to indexes, adding custom filters, opening folders pane, searching. I also exited and opening the program a couple times throughout the day, and sometimes I would get the UAC prompt asking for admin rights. Cancelling of course exits the program. When checking the .ini file, run_as_admin has been changed to 1. I change to 0 and all is good, but sometimes it will revert. Other than checking the "Run as administrator" box under General settings, is there any other type of option or action that would cause the run_as_admin option to flip to 1 in the .ini file? Is this a quirk of the portable version?

Edit: I would like to clarify that all options under General are unchecked.
void
Developer

Re: run_as_admin sometimes changes to 1 in portable version

Post by void »

Thank you for the bug report sbrblz,

There might be a recent change (1317+) that is causing this issue.

This might be related.

I am looking into the issue..

Run as admin can be set from:
  • The Options window
  • The Access denied dialog:
  • The -enable-run-as-admin command line option
sbrblz

Post by sbrblz »

Ah ok, so it looks like it might be a bug. That dialog only appears once for me when launching Everything for the first time. I picked manual configuration. Hopefully you are able to track it down. I suppose I can try 1316 instead although I'd prefer to be up to date with all the fixes. Does disabling plugins bring the portable version closer to a Lite setup?
As an unrelated side note, that dialogue doesn't pop up if it's run in a sandbox, probably in the way that the sandbox presents things to the program.
sbrblz

Post by sbrblz »

Hello void, I tracked down cause of the change the erroneous change to the run_as_admin value in the .ini file of the portable version. I tested with versions 1316, 1319, and 1320. 1315 did not exhibit this bug, and is the one I'm using now.

Steps to reproduce.
Launch a newly extracted portable Everything. Choose Manual configuration. Once .ini file is generated, I opened it in Notepad++. When a value changes, the program will prompt me to reload the .ini file. It is in this way that I can pinpoint the exact moment the run_as_admin value changes.

Go to Options > View, and tick or untick any of the boxes or drop down menus, I used "Show the result count with the selection count" and hit OK. run_as_admin value flips to 1. Go to Options > General. "Run as Administrator" box has become checked. Unchecking the box adds the UAC icons to the OK and Apply buttons, requiring a UAC prompt to turn off the setting. If you tick the "Show the result count with the selection count" and hit Apply instead of OK, the OK and Apply buttons get the UAC icons with the "Run as Administrator" box remaining unchecked. Clicking X to the close the Options window and reopening it shows Admin box is now checked with no UAC icons and OK and Apply buttons.

Hopefully this helps in fixing this bug. I don't know if there are any other settings that flip this value, I tried changing settings from other categories and it didn't seem to flip the value.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the bug report sbrblz and finding the problem..

I was looking everywhere for this issue and couldn't find it..

Everything 1.5.0.1321a fixes an issue with run as administrator being enabled when changing a view setting.

I suppose I can try 1316 instead although I'd prefer to be up to date with all the fixes. Does disabling plugins bring the portable version closer to a Lite setup?
Yes.
Last edited by void on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Everything 1.5.0.1320a => Everything 1.5.0.1321a
sbrblz

Post by sbrblz »

void wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:52 am Thanks for the bug report sbrblz and finding the problem..

I was looking everywhere for this issue and couldn't find it..

Everything 1.5.0.1320a fixes an issue with run as administrator being enabled when changing a view setting.
You mean 1321? That was quick! Thanks for the fix void.