Suggestion: pop-up search bar

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
burgundy

Suggestion: pop-up search bar

Post by burgundy »

I wonder if it's possible for a later version to include a pop-up search bar in the middle of the screen and to have the results below it.

The now-defunct search product Listary works like this (in "launcher" mode) and it is very effective not to launch the app to do a simple search.

Just a suggestion!
horst.epp

Re: Suggestion: pop-up search bar

Post by horst.epp »

The Everything Toolbar does this.
Not in the middle of the screeen but as pop-up on the taskbar which you can size.
Screenshot - 04.03.2022 , 19_26_40.png
Screenshot - 04.03.2022 , 19_26_40.png (75.04 KiB) Viewed 7154 times
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

There are already quite a few launchers out there that can use Everything as their 'search engine'.

Take a look athe the Which software has Everything integrated? discussion for a list of them.
If you find another one, please add it to that list.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

horst.epp wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:27 pm The Everything Toolbar does this.
Not in the middle of the screeen but as pop-up on the taskbar which you can size.
Is the Everything Toolbar standard in v1.5 or is it a third party add-on? Where can I read more about it?
void
Developer

Post by void »

burgundy

Post by burgundy »

void wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:03 pm There's the third party EverythingToolbar from ettb
You will need to disable the named 1.5a instance in Everything 1.5.
Thank you for the info. I steer away from using third party extras with Everything after my experience of trying to integrate Everything with Total Commander. It was quite some project for me with a lot of fiddly settings but in the end it never worked. I know others have managed it but I couldn't do it. :(
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

burgundy wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:01 pm
void wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:03 pm There's the third party EverythingToolbar from ettb
You will need to disable the named 1.5a instance in Everything 1.5.
Thank you for the info. I steer away from using third party extras with Everything after my experience of trying to integrate Everything with Total Commander. It was quite some project for me with a lot of fiddly settings but in the end it never worked. I know others have managed it but I couldn't do it. :(
If Everything is correctly installed
using it from Total Commander is just a click on its search options.
If you don't master this you should not using Everything :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:11 pm If you don't master this you should not using Everything :)
Come on, Horst .. we all had to start at the beginning at some point. I wouldn't be here, had I followed your advice.
(I bet I asked a lot of stupid rookie-questions in the early days. I remember asking on another forum why I should use Everything in the first place as I already know where all my files are. Little did I know ..)

ONTOPIC:
Both Total Commander and Everything are highly configurable, but in most cases this should work:
(assuming you run Everything 1.5 and no longer use Everything 1.4)

Part 1: Use Everything for searches in Total Commander
  • In Everything's program folder - where Everything.exe / Everything64.exe is installed - create an empty file named
    NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
    :
    • Open Notepad from the Start menu (right click notepad and click Run as an administrator):
    • In Notepad, from the File menu, click Save.
    • Browse to your Everything 1.5 installation folder (C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a)
    • Change the filename to
      "NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE"
      (with quotes!!)
    • Click The Save button.
  • Exit Everything completely (right-click the Everything icon in the systemtray and select Exit)
  • If you want to keep your current Everything 1.5 alpha settings, you have to rename your setting files:
    • Create a backup of the files in %APPDATA%\Everything (if there are no recent files in that folder, they are in the Everything program folder)
    • Remove "-1.5a" from all files in the %APPDATA%\Everything folder. For example: "Everything-1.5a.ini" => "Everything.ini"
  • Start Everything
  • In the Everything dialog, select Install the "Everything" service (recommended) and proceed.
    Everything will start as usual with the settings you used earlier.

• In Total Commander's INI file, WINCMD.INI add or change the following under the [Configuration] section:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
    Everything=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe -startup
    UseEverythingInstance=

• Done
There are more settings involved, but this gets the basics covered.

Now you can do a search (Menu:Commands > Seqarch):
2022-03-12 21_03_22-Window.png
2022-03-12 21_03_22-Window.png (22.16 KiB) Viewed 6590 times
In the Search for: filed, you can use the Everything Search syntax, when you precede your search with ed: or ev:
ed: - will search below the selected folder in the Search in box (here c:\tools\greenshot)
ev: - will search in Everything's entire database

After selecting Start Search the results will be gathered. You can feed them to one of the panes with the Feed to listbox button if needed.

Part 2: Open a new Total Commander Tab with the currently in Everything selected file/folder
  • I Everything, go to Menu:Tools > Options > General > Context Menu
  • Select Open (Folders)
  • In the Command box, enter the following command:

$exec("c:\path to\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /O /A /S /T "%1")
  • Select Open Path
  • In the Command box, enter the following command:

$exec("c:\path to\TOTALCMD64.EXE" /O /A /S /T "%1")
  • Click the OK button
  • Done!
Replace the "c:\path to\TOTALCMD64.EXE" with the actual path on your system.

Now you can press ENTER on a folder in Everything to open it in Total Commander
Or press 'CTRL + ENTER' on a file to open it's folder in TC with the file already been pre-selected.

Part 3 (optional): Send mutiple Everything results to a Total Commander list
Open Everything GUI results with TC LOADLIST
(you will see a lot of familiar Everything forum members participating there :D )

A *very* detailed description with probably all possible settings hes been written - and still being maintained - by @tuska On TC's forum.
Can't find the link atm, but hopefully @tuska himself steps in to fix that (or someone else with better/faster search-fu.

EDIT: Thanks to @tuska: Search queries in Total Commander using 'Everything' (with pictures)

See also the links in @tuska's signature for even more Everything <=> Total Commander related info!
tuska

Post by tuska »

NotNull wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:34 pm A *very* detailed description with probably all possible settings has been written - and still be maintained - by @tuska On TC's forum.
Can't find the link atm, but hopefully @tuska himself steps in to fix that (or someone else with better/faster search-fu.
Hi,
I have tried to list/summarise important information here:
Search queries in Total Commander using 'Everything' (with pictures)
Point 13. SETTINGS: For 'Everything' in Total Commander & 'Everything' -> from 'Everything' Version 1.5

Transfer 'Everything' GUI results to Total Commander - STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE, summary
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

:thumbsup:. Thanks, tuska! (link added and also the -startup option.Better that way!)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

I added a :)
The only thing necessary to use Everything 1.5 in TC
is the alpha_instance=0 entry in the Everything ini file.
This is true as long as Everything is installed as suggested for normal usage.
All other explanations are vailid but not necessary for a new starting user.
I like Tuskas description but for me they are sometimes to large and overwhelming a new user.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:01 am I added a :)
I (think I) know you a little bit by now and you do mean no harm, but the average passer-by might read this differently.
That's the only reason I responded. I do mean no harm either :)

My own Everything <=> Tc is even more straightforward:
1.4 installed (portable)
1.5 installed (out of the box setup)

WINCMD.ini

[Configuration]
Everything=C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\Everything64.exe -startup
UseEverythingInstance=1.5a
tuska

Post by tuska »

This is my preferred setting (details under point 13. 2c) concerning Everything <=> Total Commander: :)

File "NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE" ... WITHOUT content and WITHOUT file extension in the Everything programme directory:

NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
That's just how everyone has their own personal attitudes. ;)
The effects are described in the "documentation" under point 13.
burgundy

Post by burgundy »

Sorry guys, I'm lost. I am the OP.

This is more complicated than I expected. Maybe one day when I am very clear-headed I will give this a go but I am not sure I even understand it! I am not lazy and I am willing to spend time but at the moment a lot of this reads like Chinese!

Pairing Total Commander with Everything seems a very synergistic thing to do and it would be nice if it could be automated a bit rather than copy/pasting strange commands and the sort of things mentioned in this thread.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Establish connection between Everything and Total Commander using the file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
and remove suffix -1.5a in the file names and in the Everything Service:
  1. Start Everything 1.5x -> e.g. Everything (1.5a) 1.5.0.1305a (x64) -> latest Everything 1.5 Alpha can be found here.
    ("Everything (1.5a)" is displayed in Task Manager under "Services" tab)
  2. UNCHECK(!) -> [x] "Everything Service" -> in menu "Tools" -> Options... -> General
    Press the "Apply" button. Confirm the User Account Control (UAC) - query with "Yes" and then press "OK".
    (The "Everything (1.5a) Service" -> Name: Everything (1.5a) ... has been removed and is no longer visible in the task manager).
  3. Exit Everything 1.5x completely: Right click on the icon in the taskbar > Systray - click "Exit".
  4. In Total Commander change into the Everything installation directory.
    (This is the directory where Everything.exe or Everything64.exe is located).
  5. RENAME files in the installation directory, e.g. as follows, in order to be able to continue using the settings:

Bookmarks-1.5a.csv		Bookmarks.csv
    Everything-1.5a.db		Everything.db
    Everything-1.5a.ini 		Everything.ini
    Filters-1.5a.csv		Filters.csv
    Plugins-1.5a.ini		Plugins.ini
    Run History-1.5a.csv		Run History.csv
    Search History-1.5a.csv		Search History.csv
    Temporary Excludes-1.5a.csv	Temporary Excludes.csv
    [If this is not so easy to do, e.g. because these files are located in the directory C:\Program Files\Everything 1.5a\,
    then it is necessary to click on the "Administrator" button and confirm the UAC query with "Yes".
    Alternatively, the files with the suffix "-1.5a" can be moved to a directory with write permissions, e.g. C:\Tools, etc.
    and the files are renamed there. After that, the files must be moved back to the installation directory and
    the UAC query must be confirmed once with "All as administrator"].
  6. Press Shift+F4 in Total Commander (in the Everything installation directory!) to create the file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE
  7. Enter the following text: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE and then press the "OK" button - a text editor opens -> DO NOT enter TEXT here!)
    [If this is not possible, change to a directory with write permissions, eg C:\Tools, etc. and create the file there.
    The file must then be moved to the installation directory and the UAC query must be confirmed with "Yes"].
  8. File: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE (without file extension!) ... save, close text editor
  9. Start Everything 1.5x and confirm the default option "Install the "Everything" service" with click on "OK".
  10. Confirm the User Account Control (UAC) - query with "Yes".
    (The "Everything Service" is now displayed on the "Services" tab in the Task Manager -> Name: Everything)
  11. FINISHED! -> A search in Total Commander using Everything [-parameters] is now possible!
  12. (I assume that after the beta/release has appeared, the file: NO_ALPHA_INSTANCE will no longer be needed
    and for this reason can be easily deleted then). Please see also: Curious about the transition to non-alpha.
     ⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺      ⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺⸺