Updating database slow when using Service_Pipe_Name

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
gggirlgeek

Updating database slow when using Service_Pipe_Name

Post by gggirlgeek »

Hello,

I am using a pipe name in my ini file so that my various named instances use the same Service.
service_pipe_name=\\\\.\\pipe\\Everything Service

When starting only 1 instance "Updating Database" takes a couple of minutes (as opposed to 2 or 3 seconds when using a service for each instance.) My services are already running in both cases. Also, it takes the same 2 minutes to update when I simply restart a single instance of Everything.

Is there a fix or does using multiple services even take enough resources to worry about it? (I have 20GB of memory and SSD but a 1.5ghz cpu. Not indexing anything abnormal or networked (music and videos and Windows partition. All temp and Recycle bins and WinSxS excluded.)

Thanks for all the improvements lately and the work on 1.5a!! I think I might switch to it because it's so stable.

----------
Version 1.4.1.1009
Win10x64Pro on SSD, some HDD indexing
void
Developer

Re: Updating database slow when using Service_Pipe_Name

Post by void »

Thank you for your feedback gggirlgeek,
When starting only 1 instance "Updating Database" takes a couple of minutes (as opposed to 2 or 3 seconds when using a service for each instance.)
Does this issue occur for Everything 1.5a? or only Everything 1.4?

-The Everything 1.4 service doesn't support multiple threads, which will hurt concurrent connection performance.
-The Everything 1.5a server does support multiple threads.
Is there a fix or does using multiple services even take enough resources to worry about it?
I recommend installing a service for each instance.
Typically, the Everything Service will use about 1MB ram and no noticeable CPU usage.
During the initial index there might be some RAM usage.

The Service is just a stateless (dumb) service that simply allows the Everything client low level read access to your NTFS volumes.
It is the Everything client that does all the hard work.