Outlook

General discussion related to "Everything".
gazmoz17

Outlook

Post by gazmoz17 »

Hi,

Is it possible to search my outlook items as searching outlook is terrible!

I've done a search on forum to do with eml files but dated 2009 so don't know if still relevant.

Don't want to be lazy if some could point me in the right direction please and I'll have a play if its possible that is :lol:

Thanks
tuska

Re: Outlook

Post by tuska »

Hi,
Everything 1.5 Alpha required...
How to make a full switch to 1.5?

.EML files can be searched for content.
added native support for eml content.

Outlook files (*.msg) can be searched for content with 'Everything' only by using the Windows search.
14. Windows Search in ... 'Everything' -> from 'Everything' 1.5.0.1258a

Setup content indexing -> e.g. for eml content
gazmoz17

Post by gazmoz17 »

Thats great thanks tuska
gazmoz17

Post by gazmoz17 »

Apologies for the daft questions. Thanks for all your links. So I’ve downloaded 1.5 alpha and I know how to import all my current settings.

I know now from your link how to setup content indexing.

But do I have to use Total Commander to search eml?

Can’t see any links to changing eml setting in Everything or how to do a simple eml search. Can see your link summarising that eml search is a new added feature of the beta.
gazmoz17

Post by gazmoz17 »

Away from my pc at the moment…..or to search do I just use the .msg prefix with the content settings I’ve added and I’m away. And the Total Commander link is just for Total commander users?
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

gazmoz17 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 pm Apologies for the daft questions. Thanks for all your links. So I’ve downloaded 1.5 alpha and I know how to import all my current settings.

I know now from your link how to setup content indexing.

Can’t see any links to changing eml setting in Everything or how to do a simple eml search. Can see your link summarising that eml search is a new added feature of the beta.
Set content_builtin_eml_handler=1 in Everything.ini
and add *.eml under Content in "Include only files" field.
I have all Thunderbird mails in eml format (Maildir)
and search for content in Everything works perfect.
tuska

Post by tuska »

gazmoz17 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:39 pm I know now from your link how to setup content indexing.
Can’t see any links to changing eml setting in Everything or how to do a simple eml search.
Can see your link summarising that eml search is a new added feature of the beta.
  1. Content Indexing:
    Menu "Tools" -> Options... -> Content: [✓] Index file content
    ONLY EXAMPLE:...
    -> Include only folders: C:\Tools;D:\
    -> Include only files: *.doc;*.docx;*.txt;*.pdf;*.xls;*.xlsx;*.ini;*.eml ... NOT: *.msg
    -> this entry: content_builtin_eml_handler=1 should be already in file Everything.ini

2. Total Commander is NOT required for a file content search.
    I have only linked to this page because under point 14. there is a detailed description of 'Everything' and 'Windows Search'.

3. A file content search for file extension .EML can be performed, e.g. as follows:

Code: Select all

ext:eml content:YourSearchword 
    ... OR ... 
    ext:eml content:"Your Searchwords"
  4. Search for file content for file extension .MSG -> 'Everything' and 'Windows Search' -> Point 14.,
    Example queries using 'Windows Search'... -> 2. 'Everything' from Version 1.5.0.1258a (Alpha) -> 'Everything' Search box:

systemindex:art:music
    systemindex:keyword
    systemindex:"My search terms"
    OR
    si:art:music
    si:keyword
    si:"My search terms"
    IMPORTANT: Note under point 14. this topic -> "Windows -> Setup - Indexing Options -> Example only!"
    because otherwise it is quite possible that your file content search with 'Everything' and 'Windows Search' will produce no search results!

Total Commander is NOT required for a file content search (*.msg) with 'Everything' and 'Windows Search'.

Post by gazmoz17 »

Thanks guys much appreciated. Can’t wait to get into work now and try it…I’m such a loser :lol:

Going to be really helpful though I’m sure.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Hi,
I can offer two pictures as further support:

2021-07-16_Search for content in EML-files_10271.png 		-> in 'Everything'
2021-07-16_Search for content in Outlook - MSG-files_10271.png  -> in 'Everything' under using 'Windows Search'

2021-07-16_Search for content in EML-files_10271.png
2021-07-16_Search for content in EML-files_10271.png (106.27 KiB) Viewed 20532 times

2021-07-16_Search for content in Outlook - MSG-files_10271.png
2021-07-16_Search for content in Outlook - MSG-files_10271.png (258.9 KiB) Viewed 20532 times
gazmoz17

Post by gazmoz17 »

Thanks for taking the time tuska there 👍.

Not had time at work to set it up yet. Transferred all my settings from 1.4 to 1.5, set up content today and left it indexing over night now, surely will be finished by tomorrow morning.

Prob done it wrong way around then will follow your eml steps and add it to content. Guessing will have to index eml files then. Will follow your steps properly tomorrow.

So content search for eml will it search keyword content within the attachment as well as in the body e.g. an excel attachment? Or will everything with a standard search searching excel file type search within outlook anyway?
gazmoz17

Post by gazmoz17 »

Sorry it’s off topic as an aside what screenshot software do you use for your annotations etc? Been asked to put some procedures together at work and that’s really succinct your examples.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

gazmoz17 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:37 pm Thanks for taking the time tuska there 👍.

Not had time at work to set it up yet. Transferred all my settings from 1.4 to 1.5, set up content today and left it indexing over night now, surely will be finished by tomorrow morning.

Prob done it wrong way around then will follow your eml steps and add it to content. Guessing will have to index eml files then. Will follow your steps properly tomorrow.

So content search for eml will it search keyword content within the attachment as well as in the body e.g. an excel attachment? Or will everything with a standard search searching excel file type search within outlook anyway?
To my knowledge eml content indexing will search the mail text but not any attachments.
Attachments stored in the file system may be indexed if there is an iFilter available for its format.
tuska

Post by tuska »

gazmoz17 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:37 pm ... will everything with a standard search searching excel file type search within outlook anyway?
I selected the file type .PST in the Windows Indexing Options under "Advanced options",
to search in Outlook 2013 for file contents of received emails with Everything and Windows Search. Unfortunately without success.

I.e. in my view, both the Outlook emails and the file attachments (e.g. *.xlsx, *.pdf, etc.) must first be stored on the PC
in order to be able to search for file contents in the *.msg or other files later with Everything and Windows Search.

If, for example, in the Windows Indexing Options under "Advanced Options" for the file type "xlsx" ...
"Index Properties and File Contents" was selected, then the following query is sufficient to carry out a file contents search (in xlsx-files)
in Everything, using Windows Search (si: -> in Everything):

si:"Your search terms"
However, there are certainly special tools with which a search is possible directly in Outlook -> Please make a forum search or Google query...
gazmoz17 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:42 pm Sorry it’s off topic as an aside what screenshot software do you use for your annotations etc?
Been asked to put some procedures together at work and that’s really succinct your examples.
I use FastStone Capture Version 9.6 (June 21, 2021) since 2008.
Since then, this price has not changed: $19.95 to get a lifetime license. I can highly recommend this programme.
Trevor22

Post by Trevor22 »

The issue with .pst files and the "si:" function is that, to the best of my understanding, Windows indexes the content of .pst separately from other files. On my PC, my Windows .pst files are indexed, but they can only be accessed in the Outlook's own search tool. Everything's "si:" function doesn't seem to work with them. So, I'm wondering if Everything has another function for accessing the content of .pst files.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Trevor22 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:13 pm So, I'm wondering if Everything has another function for accessing the content of .pst files.
Not to my knowledge.

But there are providers, for example Lookeen, who make such a function pay a little. ;)
(I do not own this product).
tuska

Post by tuska »

Trevor22

Post by Trevor22 »

tuska wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:30 pm See also:
Index content of Outlook *.msg or *.eml files  -->  Outlook 365
Thanks. I read this, but not clear on whether this applies to .pst files. I believe it does not apply.
tuska

Post by tuska »

Trevor22 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:33 pm
tuska wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:30 pm See also:
Index content of Outlook *.msg or *.eml files  -->  Outlook 365
Thanks. I read this, but not clear on whether this applies to .pst files. I believe it does not apply.
To the best of my knowledge, nothing has changed from what I said then, i.e.

1. Outlook .pst files contain e.g. emails in the inbox [with file attachments].
2. If you save an Outlook email, you can save it e.g. with file type .msg.
3. Outlook 365: Here you have to draw your own conclusions from the linked topic, as I do not have this application.

ad 1.
A content search in emails that are in the Outlook .pst file and have not yet been saved separately as .msg file
is possible, for example, with the "Lookeen" programme already mentioned above, which is subject to a fee.

ad 2.
An email saved in a folder with file extension .MSG can be searched for file contents with the following programmes, e.g.
- Everything only with the integration of the Windows search and using e.g. the Everything parameter si:
  It is recommended to set the indexing options for the Windows search accordingly(!).
  I.e. a file content search with the Everything parameter content: is NOT possible.
- Total Commander (without Everything and Windows Search ... -OR- with integration of Everything + Windows Search).
- File Explorer -> Windows Search (... set the indexing options!)

I was unable to search the contents of a searchable pdf document attached to a filed email (.msg).
I had to open the pdf file first.

2022-12-18_Windows Search - Indexing options.png
2022-12-18_Windows Search - Indexing options.png (54.55 KiB) Viewed 5365 times

(Part of: Microsoft Office LTSC Professional Plus 2021)
Trevor22

Post by Trevor22 »

Thanks for your detailed reply. For my purpose, I need to search the intact pst/ost files. Lookeen does search pst (as does DocFetcher Pro), but they both have too many limitations. I wonder how difficult it would be for an experienced coder to write a plug-in for Everything that would provide this functionality.