Chained searches

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
j2associates

Chained searches

Post by j2associates »

It would be great if Search Everything supported chained searches where the results of Seach #1 would become the input to Search #2, etc. This feature would allow you to write general searches and then successive searches could become more and more refined / granular as needed.

As an example, let's say I want to help a client with some general Excel issues. So I do an initial search for *.xls* to find all the Excel files. Then by perusing the result set, I may want to filter more specifically in this or that area. But if chaining were enabled, I would still have my original result set to refer back to as we worked our way through the issues.

Thanks
horst.epp

Re: Chained searches

Post by horst.epp »

j2associates wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:02 pm It would be great if Search Everything supported chained searches where the results of Seach #1 would become the input to Search #2, etc. This feature would allow you to write general searches and then successive searches could become more and more refined / granular as needed.

As an example, let's say I want to help a client with some general Excel issues. So I do an initial search for *.xls* to find all the Excel files. Then by perusing the result set, I may want to filter more specifically in this or that area. But if chaining were enabled, I would still have my original result set to refer back to as we worked our way through the issues.

Thanks
Next time please tell us your TC version.
In the actual version there is an entry in the search results
F2 Search in found files/folders.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

horst.epp wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:08 pm Next time please tell us your TC version.
In the actual version there is an entry in the search results
F2 Search in found files/folders.
@horst: Take a look at the address bar of your browser ... ;) :D
j2associates

Post by j2associates »

Version 1.4.1.935 (x64) is what I am currently using
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

j2associates wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:16 pm Version 1.4.1.935 (x64) is what I am currently using
Horst.epp was mixing up this Everything forum and the Total Commander (TC) forum. You don't need to respond.
j2associates

Post by j2associates »

So is F2 search within found files/folders an active feature in Search Everything? If so, I didn't see it. If not, that would be a great way to implement Chained Searches.