"Attempt to monitor changes" on folder of junction folders

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
JTCGiants56

"Attempt to monitor changes" on folder of junction folders

Post by JTCGiants56 »

Hello. In my setup I have a folder containing about 20 junction folders (pointing to other locations). I have everything setup to exclude the original locations and to just include these junctions in search (so that all the folders appear as if they're on the same drive).

The problem I am having is that it is unable to pick up changes immediately to these folders. And usually only updates, after an automatic timed rescan. I have the rescan set to 30 minutes, because I did not want to add unnecessary wear to my drives, or possibly lock up the system by rescanning more often. But maybe the rescan process is painless on system resources and it is okay to set to shorter times. Please let me know if so.

The buffer size is also set to the default 64kb. I'm not really sure if I can increase this and that might help, or slow down the "monitoring" of changes instantly.

Any help on this matter is appreciated.
void
Developer

Re: "Attempt to monitor changes" on folder of junction folders

Post by void »

Are you making changes to files in these folders from a different path?
For example, in Everything you index c:\junctions\downloads
This is a junction to d:\downloads
Are you making changes to d:\downloads or c:\junctions\downloads? -only changes to c:\junctions\downloads will be detected in Everything.

Please try adding your junctions as NTFS Volumes:
  • Complete exit Everything (right click the Everything system tray icon and click Exit)
  • Open your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini
  • For example, add c:\junctions\downloads that is a junction to d:\downloads
  • Change the following lines (these lines are lists, each list item is a setting for a NTFS volume, we will add a new settings to the end of these lists):

ntfs_volume_guids="\\\\?\\Volume{00000000-1111-2222-3333-44445555555C}","\\\\?\\Volume{00000000-1111-2222-3333-44445555555D}"
    ntfs_volume_paths="C:","D:"
    ntfs_volume_roots="",""

to:

ntfs_volume_guids="\\\\?\\Volume{00000000-1111-2222-3333-44445555555C}","\\\\?\\Volume{00000000-1111-2222-3333-44445555555D}","<volume guid for D:>"
    ntfs_volume_paths="C:","D:","C:\\junctions\\downloads"
    ntfs_volume_roots="","","downloads"
  • Save changes and restart Everything.
This will create a new NTFS index of "C:\junctions\downloads" (which is really d:\downloads)
The path "C:\junctions\downloads" is where this NTFS volume is mounted in Everything.
The volume guid "<volume guid for D:>" is the volume Everything will actually index.
The root "downloads" means d:\downloads will be treated as the root of the index.

The buffer size will only help if Everything is detecting changes.
In your case, no changes are detected, so changing the buffer size will not help.

Please send me an email to support@voidtools.com if you need assistance setting up your Everything.ini
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

Hello, I am mostly making the changes in c:\junctions\downloads - the junction location.

ntfs_volume_guids= - I have about 5-6 different drives which all have subfolders pointing to this one junction location. I would add the GUID of all of these drives? (There's already a bunch of GUIDs listed here, but some are missing).

After doing this process, will I then be able to remove the exclusion of the original, non-junction location and it will not show up on the list? Also can remove the manual add of the junction folder under settings > folders?

Thanks for your help.
void
Developer

Post by void »

ntfs_volume_guids= - I have about 5-6 different drives which all have subfolders pointing to this one junction location. I would add the GUID of all of these drives? (There's already a bunch of GUIDs listed here, but some are missing).
You would set these to the volume name of the TARGET volume (junction destination volume).
They should not be blank, they should be a volume name.

Each item in these ini option lists represents a single volume.
For example:
ntfs_volume_guids=<volume name for volume#1>,<volume name for volume#2>,<volume name for volume#3>,...
ntfs_volume_paths=<mount path for volume#1>,<mount path for volume#2>,<mount path for volume#3>,...
ntfs_volume_roots=<root for volume#1>,<root for volume#2>,<root for volume#3>,...
ntfs_volume_includes=<include in database for volume#1>,<include in database volume#2>,<include in database volume#3>,...

You may need to set the includes list too (depending on if you have automatically include fixed volumes enabled or disabled)
ntfs_volume_includes=1,1,1,...
Make sure a 1 is used for each volume.

Please make sure automatically remove offline/moved NTFS volumes is disabled, otherwise Everything will remove these as they are treated as offline.
auto_remove_offline_ntfs_volumes=0
auto_remove_moved_ntfs_volumes=0
After doing this process, will I then be able to remove the exclusion of the original, non-junction location and it will not show up on the list? Also can remove the manual add of the junction folder under settings > folders?
Yes you can remove your folder indexes after.
You can do this from within Everything.
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:49 am
You would set these to the volume name of the TARGET volume (junction destination volume).
They should not be blank, they should be a volume name.

Each item in these ini option lists represents a single volume.
For example:
ntfs_volume_guids=<volume name for volume#1>,<volume name for volume#2>,<volume name for volume#3>,...
ntfs_volume_paths=<mount path for volume#1>,<mount path for volume#2>,<mount path for volume#3>,...
ntfs_volume_roots=<root for volume#1>,<root for volume#2>,<root for volume#3>,...
ntfs_volume_includes=<include in database for volume#1>,<include in database volume#2>,<include in database volume#3>,...

You may need to set the includes list too (depending on if you have automatically include fixed volumes enabled or disabled)
ntfs_volume_includes=1,1,1,...
Make sure a 1 is used for each volume.

Please make sure automatically remove offline/moved NTFS volumes is disabled, otherwise Everything will remove these as they are treated as offline.
auto_remove_offline_ntfs_volumes=0
auto_remove_moved_ntfs_volumes=0
Yes you can remove your folder indexes after.
You can do this from within Everything.
Hello, my junction location is now showing up as an offline NTFS volume, but junctions within do not seem to be indexing. When searching for a file within these junctions, it is showing their original non junction location.

Also, I named this volume "C:\downloads" (example) for "ntfs_volume_paths=" but after I run everything it renames this to "C:downloads" and removes the backslash. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen.

Thanks for your assistance.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Hello, my junction location is now showing up as an offline NTFS volume
This is expected.
As long as Automatically remove offline volumes and Automatically remove moved volumes are disabled this should not be an issue.
Also, I named this volume "C:\downloads" (example) for "ntfs_volume_paths=" but after I run everything it renames this to "C:downloads" and removes the backslash. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen.
Please try escaping \ with \\
For example: "C:\\downloads"

Does Everything index this path correctly now?
JTCGiants56

Post by JTCGiants56 »

void wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:06 am
Hello, my junction location is now showing up as an offline NTFS volume
This is expected.
As long as Automatically remove offline volumes and Automatically remove moved volumes are disabled this should not be an issue.
Please try escaping \ with \\
For example: "C:\\downloads"

Does Everything index this path correctly now?
It indexes the junction root folders, just not the files within them (they still show up as original location path if searched).

"C:\\downloads" now appears and does not get replaced but unfortunately still having the above issue.