New work machine w/ Windows 10 blocks Everything without admin access

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
stevenroussos

New work machine w/ Windows 10 blocks Everything without admin access

Post by stevenroussos »

Everything is not "supported" software by my work company. I do not have admin access. On previous machine, which was running Windows 7, I was able to just unzip the portable version and run Everything.exe and it was able to index the NTFS volumes without performing a proper install and without installing the Service (which they will not do. Very "tight" operation.)

My machine was just refreshed to one running Windows 10. Now, Everything is insisting on Admin access or installing the Service.

Is there some other version I can use, or something I am forgetting about how I was using it that would allow me to index NTFS without admin and without the Service?
NotNull

Re: New work machine w/ Windows 10 blocks Everything without admin access

Post by NotNull »

The servivce can't be run (or installed) without administrative privileges as that service is used to access a part of the filesystem that is otherwise inaccessible.

If you can't install the Everything service, use Folder Indexing for your local NTFS disks instead.
stevenroussos

Post by stevenroussos »

Ah, thanks. I didn't think of using folder indexing.

1. Does it include only the single folder, or does it recurse to subfolders?

2. Any idea why ir USED to work when my machine was window 7, but denied access once it was upgraded to W10? Does 10 handle these priveledges differently at an OS level?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

stevenroussos wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:44 pm 1. Does it include only the single folder, or does it recurse to subfolders?
It does recurse subfolders. Add C:\ to your Folder indexes to include the whole C:-disk.
2. Any idea why ir USED to work when my machine was window 7, but denied access once it was upgraded to W10? Does 10 handle these priveledges differently at an OS level?
s
There are some fundamental differences between Win7 and Win10, but bottom line: on Win7 you also had to be an Administrator to install the service.
Maybe you were local admin on your Win7 system (could you install your own programs?) or some friendly person from IT installed it for you. Hard to tell ...