Removing items from results list?

General discussion related to "Everything".
wallywalters

Removing items from results list?

Post by wallywalters »

Is there a way to dismiss (or hide) items in the results for the remainder of a search action? Sometimes when evaluating a long results list you wish to narrow it down by removing items you've already dealt with. Something like pressing the delete key, only the "deleted" item wouldn't actually be erased from the disk, just removed from view for the duration of this search.
therube

Re: Removing items from results list?

Post by therube »

You could "NOT" them.
So if you've sorted files by size & are looking through the list, but then realized you don't need to see video files, you can "not" them.

Add,
!video:
to your search.

And then if you realize you don't need to see mp3's either.

Add,
!ext:mp3:
to your search.

Don't want to see anything withing "Windows".

Add,
!c:\windows
to your search.
(I actually have that just now in one of my Everything widows,
sizedupe: !\windows
.)
wallywalters

Post by wallywalters »

Yes, I use the "not" operator all the time to exclude entire classes of files from a search. My question is how to go about hiding individual items you've already looked at, without dismissing every file like it all at once.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'm working on a temporarily exclude option.

For now, if you copy the selected results to the clipboard and paste them in the search box, you see a pasted filelist:"filename1|filename2|filename3|..." list, if you prefix this list with ! so it becomes:
!filelist:"filename1|filename2|filename3|..." it will temporarily exclude these files.
wallywalters

Post by wallywalters »

Interesting workaround. Might make for some long strings in the search box, though. Thanks!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, the search box is limited to 2 billion characters.
There is a limit of 4096 visible characters, if you have more than 4096 characters the search box will still work, it will just not render correctly.

I have on my TODO list to display filelist:filename1;filename2;"filename3";... as filelist:...

If you click on the ... it will open a "file list editor" which will show all the file names in a list and allow you to manipulate this list.