Questionable default settings

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Whirly

Questionable default settings

Post by Whirly »

Some of the default out of the box Everything settings seem sub-optimal for the masses. For example "Open path with double click in path column" why is this not checked by default?! There may be a few people that don't want this, because they are error prone clickers or something, but this is a great great feature.

I feel like some of greatness of Everything is obscured by various default settings.

I would also argue for these defaults:
1 View >> Filters (check On) [why not?]
2 View >> Status Bar (check On) [not sure what default is for this]
3 View >> Alternate row color (check On). [Just a nice little usability enhancement. ]
4 View >> Show size in status bar. [I appreciate reducing noise, but this is small and out of the way in the lower right corner. ]
5 View >> Show the result count with the selection count.
6 Search >> Allow literal operators (check On).
7 Search >> Match whole filename when using wildcards (check OFF). [Requiring the whole filename is frustrating and unexpected to the average user.]
8 Results >> Open path with double click in path column (check On).
9 Indexes >> Index Folder Size (check On). [Performance hit to indexing, but worth it to me. Debatable.]
10 History >> Always show search suggestions (check On).

The situation for every user of Everything is different, who disagrees?

I've had to change these settings dozens of times on various computers - maybe I need to learn a shortcut process for that.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26 Wow, that is big list of things to do. Keep up the good work!
vanisk

Re: Questionable default settings

Post by vanisk »

I've had to change these settings dozens of times on various computers - maybe I need to learn a shortcut process for that.
Will it be easier if we export settings of one machine and use them to restore on others?

Code: Select all

/config_save 
To make a backup of all settings: Choose a filename and destination and click Save.

Code: Select all

/config_load
To restore all settings: Select a Everything.ini and click Open.
void
Developer

Re: Questionable default settings

Post by void »

Thanks for your suggestions.

Some of these defaults settings will change for the next major release of Everything.

A lot of these options could be enabled by default as their usefulness does outweigh any small performance loss.