Running Everything without administrator privileges in XP

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
marcel

Running Everything without administrator privileges in XP

Post by marcel »

When I try to do a search from my admin account, no problem. But if I try to search from a non administrator account, Everything give me this error
( :oops: sorry, it's in spanish): "Error al reemplazar Everything.db con Everything.db.tmp en C:\Programs\Everything\Everything.db".
marcel

Re: Running Everything without administrator privileges in XP

Post by marcel »

Here is the "Errorlog" from the Everything's folder:
"08/02/2010 14:33:23: Everything 1.2.1.375: d:\dev\everything\src\mu.h(534): mu::OpenVolume(): CreateFileW(): GetLastError(): 5: Failed to open volume \\.\C:"
void
Developer

Post by void »

"Everything" requires administrative privileges for low level access to volumes.
Peri

Post by Peri »

Hello void, I have a question/suggestion about this topic because I'd like to give the limited users the possibility to use Everything too.
is there any plans to future versions tor run the main engine as a system service? So it could have the enough privileges to the low access level to the volumes and a different executable running as a limited user could communicate with it.
Best Regards.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Unfortunately, there is no way around the administrative privileges requirements for the current release of "Everything" (1.2.1.371).

I am working on a service/client model as a plug-in for a future release of "Everything".

The service will require administrative privileges for indexing and maintaining the index.

The client will no longer require administrative privileges.
Running a file from "Everything" will use the same limited user privileges as the client.
Peri

Post by Peri »

those are good news, void :) that is exactly what I am looking for.
Thank you for all the work and this great (really FAST!) software :p

Cheers!