Everything showing files that don't exist anymore

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Danvina

Everything showing files that don't exist anymore

Post by Danvina »

Search returns results that have been deleted even from the Recycle Bin. Force rebuilt does not help. I even try to delete the database, but the program immediately rebuilt it with the old information. I uninstall the program with Revo Uninstaller, and installed it again! Nothing works! It keeps showing results that were deleted long ago! Please tell me, how is this problem solved?
NotNull

Re: Everything showing files that don't exist anymore

Post by NotNull »

First guess: you don't have Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything enabled.
If that's the case:
- enable it
-or-
- Uninstall Everything (again, I know ...) and re-install it, leaving all installion options default.

For more detail, take a look at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1920#p21691
(in your case, Everything probably isn't allowed to update the database)
Danvina

Post by Danvina »

I am running Everything Portable.
I had Everything installed before on my C drive but kept crashing after a few minutes the computer was started. Then started it again and after a few minutes crash again and again!
Never crashed again after I started to run the portable version.
By the way, when it was installed on C drive had the same problem showing files deleted [and deleted again in the trash].
I will try to install it again! I will report on this tomorrow!
Thanks
Danvina

Post by Danvina »

Well, I did not have to wait until tomorrow!
I downloaded the last version for 64 bits, installed it and did not change any of the preestablished choices.
I run it again and still have the original problem of showing nonexistent files.
Any more ideas?
therube

Post by therube »

Are you sure that the files are actually gone?
Opening "Recycle Bin" & having it tell you that is not enough.
Recycle Bin is a "virtual" item, & what it shows you (as Recycle Bin) & what may or may not actually be in the associated directories could differ.

Everything shows me files that no longer exist
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5399
Danvina

Post by Danvina »

Well, if you click or double-click on the results of Everything, will not open the file. Instead, a message saying that "Windows can't find ....."
Also, if you right-click and select "Open Path" you get the same message from Windows.
If you navigate to where Everything tells you those files are, the files are not there!
If you try to delete the file or rename it [right-click], nothing happens!
If you run a Windows search from explorer [long wait just to search a directory] the files don't show, but Everything keeps showing files that don't exist anymore! ! !
Danvina

Post by Danvina »

Oh! The link that you posted, is a different problem as is with the Recycle Bin.
My case is, there are no files in the thrash. And Everything does not show anything there.
Yes it does, in the old directory [an external drive] which is not even connected to the computer at this time!
Simoncu

Post by Simoncu »

Hello, I've got the exact same problem. everything is showing me files on the H:\ drive, which was connected some times ago, (it's a usb stick) which doesn't appear in the drive list of my computer anymore and it shows the file in the search window. THe store setting and data is checked, always has been. Didn't change any settings in the options. Force rebuild didn't help either.

An update : I plugged another stick in the computer who got the letter H: erased the .db file, restarted everything, and the file was gone... This is still a bug, and the solution is not a real one.
therube

Post by therube »

Options | Indexes -> NTFS ===> Automatically remove offline volumes.

(I actually like the behavior, having offline data available, so keep it unchecked.)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Another reason why you might be unable to open your files, is that Everything is able to 'see' all files, whereas you might not have access to it as they are protected by security settings, like system files or profiles of other users
For example, quite a few Windows files and folders are inaccessible (random example: C:\windows\prefetch or c:\users\administrator)
Danvina

Post by Danvina »

I like Simoncu's idea. Though, I agree, this is still a bug!
I plugged another pen drive into the computer and I didn't get the same letter, but I changed it. I worked for me too!
Thanks, Simoncu! Thanks, everyone else!
klepp0906

Post by klepp0906 »

any of you guys ever sort this? i'm getting the same exact behavior now and ive tried everything including removing the files/directories from an admin cmd prompt, where windows cant see or find them either.

with view protected operating system files enabled, still nothing there.

at wits end as it only effecting a single drive. in fact ive removed the entire $recycle.bin and its not there in the root of my drive, yet it is in everything and when i try to access it i get "windows cannot find"
void
Developer

Post by void »

For others, Please try forcing a rebuild:
  • Please make sure the drive is online.
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Indexes tab on the left.
  • Click Force Rebuild.
  • Click OK.

The Windows Shell has trouble accessing the $recycle.bin, System Volume Information and really long filenames (longer than 259 characters).

Please try deleting the directory with robocopy:

Code: Select all

mkdir empty_dir
robocopy empty_dir the_dir_to_delete /mir
rmdir empty_dir
rmdir the_dir_to_delete
Warning: this will delete the entire folder.

https://superuser.com/a/467814
void
Developer

Post by void »

Please try removing your offline volume from your index:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • Optionally check Automatically remove offline volumes.
  • Select your D: and click Remove.
  • Click OK.