2 ETP's running on (1) server

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
krosal

2 ETP's running on (1) server

Post by krosal »

Is it possible to have (2) ETP's running on (1) server pointing to different path's? I have a need to point the shop users to a different network share location. The current ETP that is setup has (10) different paths that it currently searches from, where the shop employees only require (1) of those paths.

If that's not possible, what about ETP and HTTP running both same installation.

Thank you,
NotNull

Re: 2 ETP's running on (1) server

Post by NotNull »

Yes, you can. Make use of Named Instances.
(don't forget to use a different ETP Servr port for that instance).
krosal wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:40 pm If that's not possible, what about ETP and HTTP running both same installation.
That is also possible.
krosal

Post by krosal »

That is really fantastic. It there a way to save the 1st instance, modify that and save the 2nd instance from the 1st?

Is there some details on how to do this?

Thank you!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Short version:
If you want to name your instance hello, copy Everything.ini to Everything-hello.ini
Start this instance with Everything.exe -instance "hello"

Some considerations:
- You can edit Everything-hello.ini with a regular text editor like notepad.
- Make sure you read the Service part of the link I posted earlier (there is no need to run 2 Everything services in your case).
If you only use folder indexing, you don't need the Everything Service(s) at all, btw.
krosal

Post by krosal »

Hello,

"If you want to name your instance hello, copy Everything.ini to Everything-hello.ini
Start this instance with Everything.exe -instance "hello""

I know when I first setup the ETP Server, I ran some commands with the 'Everything' command line interface. I'd have to look back at my notes. When I restart my server running 'Everything ETP' I thing the 'Everything Search' starts automatically. So after running the command to start the instance, does this automatically start if the server is rebooted? Or does it just start when Everything starts?

I guess my questions is how do I start the instances?

To run the commands from the everything cli, how to I stop the indexing so I can enter a command. I do see the everything service is running. Stop the service possibly?

Thank you!!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

There is a lot I didn't understand from this post, but to answer this one:
krosal wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:40 pm I guess my questions is how do I start the instances?
The same as you installed/started the first ETP Server; only that was an unnamed instance.
You probably did something like Everything.exe -install-client-service to run the Everything client as a service.
In the "hello" case, that will be: Everything.exe -install-client-service -instance "hello"
krosal

Post by krosal »

Perfect - I should be able to get this working.

Thank you NotNull for all your help!
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

No problem!

BTW: Forget about the Make sure you read the Service part of the link I posted earlier (there is no need to run 2 Everything services in your case). part. The Everything Service is not needed when you run the Everything Client Service (I know: a little bit confusing ..)
krosal

Post by krosal »

Yes, I do have the 'Everything' application installed on the server that is setup as the ETP Server.

Your information - "Short version:
If you want to name your instance hello, copy Everything.ini to Everything-hello.ini"

If I have (2) named instances, how do I start both of these "on the Server". Is it by launching the Everything' application?

Can the application control both instances? If so how do you switch to configure. Or do we not do this through the app and only done through the .ini file?

Thank you,
krosal

Post by krosal »

I was able to get this work as a second instance and it works perfect. I also set it up with a different port.

I surely appreciate all your help!

Thank you!
krosal

Post by krosal »

OK, I added my 2nd instance to startup so it starts when I log into the ETP server. Can can I run this instance as a service like the 1st instance so it starts automatically when logging into the server.

I added it to startup, but that loads the application dialog. It's not a big deal, but if I can add it as a services, I would prefer that way.

Here are your instructions for that, but for some reason thought I shouldn't do it that way.

The same as you installed/started the first ETP Server; only that was an unnamed instance.
You probably did something like Everything.exe -install-client-service to run the Everything client as a service.
In the "hello" case, that will be: Everything.exe -install-client-service -instance "hello"

I did try setting the service to use the same service for all instances but wasn't able to get that to work.

Thank you,
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Turns out that -install-client-service does not support named instances.
It also doesn't support multiple client services at once ...

I think I know a way to make this work with multiple named ETP Server instances.
But if you are going to reject that in advance ("for some reason"), I will not waste my time on you.
krosal

Post by krosal »

Hi NotNull, first I would like to say thanks for all your help. I didn't reject anything you've helped me with, it's been all wonderful support and really appreciate everything. It's been all great support and I am truly grateful.

It seems like having the (2) instances are working fine on the client side. The only issue it seems to have is getting both of them to launch when logging into the server. I think, but not sure that both are indexing correctly.

If I need to setup the server some other way, that's OK. I am open to whatever it will take to get this right.

If there is another way to setup the application on the server, please let me know. I don't have any problem removing the client app from the server, no searches are ever performed on the server itself.

I didn't know there was another way to set this up....

Thank you,
Kelly
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

krosal wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:10 pm [...] I didn't reject anything you've helped me with [...]
Well, that's how I interpreted:
Here are your instructions for that, but for some reason thought I shouldn't do it that way.
Anyway ...

I didn't know there was another way to set this up....
There are a couple of ways.
  • You can manually log on to your server and start the ETP Server(s) manually (in your case: by adding them to the startup menu/registry).
    This requires you to be logged in on the server all the time (if you log off, Everything will stop), so this is the least favourite option.
  • You can add scheduled tasks to your Windows server that start the instances when the server boots.
  • You can use Everything's embedded option to run the ETP Server(s) as a service.
    Unfortunately Everything doesn't support running multiple ETP Servers that way. It also doesn't support a named instance ETP Server.
As the 3rd option is also the best (in my opinion), I wrote something so you can run multiple named instance ETP Servers anyway (tested: works).

But let me first repeat some of the steps required to build the ETP Servers, as I have troubles figuring out what the current state of your configuration is.
(to be continued in next message ....)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

User account
First of all, you have to consider the user account to use for running the ETP Server(s).

If you want to run the ETP Server as a service, that account must be an administrator on that computer.
But it also must have access to all the files/folders you want to index.

If all files are on the computer itself, no big deal; that will solve itself automatically.
If you also want to index files on other machines, use a domain account (preferably: create/use a service account as normal accounts have passwords that expire).
(From now on, I will assume there are also files on other machines to index and you are using a domain account).

Configuring the ETP Server instance
The most accurate way to configure the ETP Server instance is by using the user account from above. That way you have access to all the files.
To start the Everything instance with that account:
  • SHIFT-Right-click CMD.exe and choose Run as a different user and specify your Domain\Username credentials
  • CD to the folder where your Everything.exe is that you want to use for the ETP Servers
  • Decide on an Everything instance name. In this example I will use Sales
  • Type
    everything.exe -instance "Sales"
    and press ENTER
  • If asked, choose Do not index NTFS volumes
Now you can configure the Sales instance:
  • Manually add/remove all the NTFS volumes and Folder indexes you want to index
  • Configre all Evrything settings to your liking (except for the ETP Server part)
  • When done, activate the ETP Server (details in https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/etp/ )
  • Test from an Everything client if the ETP Server is accessible
  • Test from an Everything client if all files and folders are listed.
  • If all is good, exit ( Menu:File > Exit )
Now you should have an Everything-Sales.ini and Everything-Sales.db in the folder where Everything.exe is
(TIP: Make a backup copy of your Everything-Sales.ini)

(to be continued ....)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Running the ETP Server as a service
  • Make sure the ETP Server is no longer running on the system.
  • Download attached zip-file and extract Install_ETPService.cmd to the folder where Everything.exe, Everything-Sales.ini and Everything-Sales.db are.
  • Right-click the CMD script in File Explorer and choose Run as administrator
  • When asked, type the instance name (in the example: Sales) and press ENTER
    A new dialog will be shown like the one below:
    2019-11-03 18_21_11-Command Prompt.lnk - Install_ETPService.cmd.png
    2019-11-03 18_21_11-Command Prompt.lnk - Install_ETPService.cmd.png (12.18 KiB) Viewed 11939 times
    The header will tell you if the service is NOT installed or already installed.
  • Press i to install the ETP Server instance as a service
This will install the service and exit the script.

Manually you have to configure under which useraccount the service will run.
That can be done by:
  • Start services.msc
  • Double-click Everything ETP Server Sales
  • Select the Log on tab
  • Enter account details
  • Restart the service.
  • Done
Repeat these steps for the next ETP Server instance(s)

Uninstalling the ETP Server service
That should be self-explanatory : repeat the steps above, check if service is installed, press R .. Done.

Reconfiguring the ETP Server
  • Stop the Everything ETP Server Sales service.
  • SHIFT-Right-click CMD.exe and choose Run as a different user and specify your Domain\Username credentials
  • CD to the folder where your Everything.exe is
  • Type
    everything.exe -instance "Sales"
    and press ENTER
  • Make your changes
  • Exit: Menu:File > Exit
    TIP: Make a backup copy of the new Everything-Sales.ini
  • Start the Everything ETP Server Sales service.

Note:
The service will be configured like Everything configures services.
One exception: the service will start automatic, but delayed (best practice).
Older versions of Windows didn't support automatic-delayed starting of services and that's why Everything doesn't use it (I guess).
Attachments
Install_ETPService.zip
(937 Bytes) Downloaded 448 times
krosal

Post by krosal »

Thank you so much for your time and the detailed information you've provided, I should be able to get this working.

A superfast indexer I must say!

Sincerely,
Kelly
krosal

Post by krosal »

I was able to get the 2nd instance working correctly following your excellent instructions.

Thank you NotNull - it works Perfect!!!

Sincerely! I really appreciate all of your support.

Kelly
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Glad this is working correctly.
(for me this was new "Everything territory" too)
krosal

Post by krosal »

Initially when configuring and testing the the 2nd instance of Everything, I received and error 10042 upon starting the instance, or something close to that, it could have been 10043.
I then went from the beginning of your instructions step by step, and it didn't come up with the error again. I then did the same procedure on another server 'Remote Location' and it worked perfect again without any errors.

Thank you for that application to create and add/remove the services, it works excellent.

I truly appreciate your time working with me on this.

It's working perfectly.

Thank you,
Kelly