Disappearing bookmarks.

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
harryray2

Disappearing bookmarks.

Post by harryray2 »

I can't work this one out...

I have bookmarks spread over 3 columns. I recently deleted a bookmark and for some reason a large swathe of bookmarks disappeared from the bookmarks menu, I now just have two columns.
This also happened when I moved the bookmark to the bottom of the list.

I looked at the organise bookmarks section and all the bookmarks are still there, just not appearing in the bookmark menu.

After I restore from a backup the bookmarks reappear. It also reappears when I move the bookmark back to it's original position.

Would it be possible, when importing bookmarks to give a choice of appending or over writing.
Not really crucially important as I can either delete all the bookmark or just copy the file over but the choice would be nice.s
harryray2

Re: Disappearing bookmarks.

Post by harryray2 »

It appears that if I delete a combination of bookmark folders the bookmarks menu goes back to normal...

I think this started to happen after I disabled index recent changes...The bookmark in question is rc:today
void
Developer

Post by void »

The Everything Bookmarks menu is limited to 1000 items.

I have put on my TODO list to increase this limit.

For now, please make and backup of your bookmarks.csv and remove any unnecessary bookmarks.
-or-
Consider moving unnecessary bookmarks to a Folder at the end of your bookmark list.
(If you have a large bookmark folder at the start of your list, it will consume this 1000 item limit earlier)

I will consider an option to overwrite existing bookmarks when importing.
For now, please delete all bookmarks and import.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I have well under a 1000 items and it seems to happen when one particular bookmark is deleted or moved.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Could you please move a bookmark around until the issue occurs.

Could you please then send your Bookmark.csv to support@voidtools.com
  • In Everything, from the Bookmarks menu, click Organize Bookmarks....
  • Click Export....
  • Choose a filename and click Save.
  • Please send this saved file to support@voidtools.com
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, I'll send it to you...

I have a set of bookmark folders near the top, I also have another set of folders that are about half way down the list (they appear in the second column) and as soon as I move the bookmark under the first folder, or further down, the problem starts to happen.
As I mentioned, also deleting the bookmark causes a problem.

I've just tried moving another bookmark and the same problem happens but if I create a new bookmark (which goes to the bottom of the list) there's no problem.

Now, if I move a folder further up the list and a bookmark down or delete a bookmark the problem is solved.
It seems to be a problem with the placement of the folders?

Although I don't have a 1000 bookmarks will increasing the 1000 limit solve this?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I've been mucking around with this and It certainly seems to do with the placing of folders...

Hopefully the increase in limit will solve the problem.
In the meantime I'll just have to keep an eye on it when I'm adding new bookmarks.

Thanks.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have not been able to produce the issue here, could you please send me your Bookmarks.csv?
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

OK, thanks, I'll send you two bookmarks.csv, one with the problem and one with the problem sorted.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Sorry, I never received the bookmarks.

Everything 1.5.0.1274a increase the maximum number of bookmarks shown in the Bookmarks menu from 1000 to 11000.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thank you for sending your bookmarks.csv

Bookmarks can disappear when using the menu_items_per_column ini setting with many bookmarks.

Everything uses the stock windows popup menus.
The stock popup menus are no longer scrollable when using menu_items_per_column.

menu_items_per_column was intended for around 100 items max.
I don't have a good solution for this issue yet.
Please try increasing or disabling menu_items_per_column.

I do have plans to create my own scrollable menus (scrollbar + mousewheel support) which might help in a future release.
A bookmarks sidebar is also in development.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks for looking at that...I'll muck around with the menu items per column, but maybe the increase to 11000 items will help.

I think a bookmarks sidebar will help a lot with the various bookmarks display issues I have. I quite like sidebars in general as well because of display issues and it saves having to keep going back to the menu each time.

In the meantime I'll just add any new bookmarks to the top of the list.
It would be nice to have the option to add a bookmark to a particular folder rather than going into organize bookmarks and moving it.
harryray2

Bookmarks problem

Post by harryray2 »

This is something covered a while back but I'm having bookmark listing problems again.

As a solution to my previous bookmarks not showing problem I moved all my bookmark directories higher up in my bookmarks list to stop bookmarks disappearing.

This has worked for a while, but now, if I enter another bookmark above my directory list the bookmark pop up window goes from 3 columns to two columns.
Also, I can't access organise bookmarks while Everything is in a full Window.

I currently have 16 bookmarks (and a separator) above where my bookmark directories start and then have 31 bookmark directories (followed by a separator) then bookmarks after that.

To avoid my bookmark column disappearing, I have to add any new bookmarks below the directories and can't add any new directories.

You mentioned there was a directory limit on bookmarks...Have I reached that.
harryray2

Re: Bookmarks problem

Post by harryray2 »

I looked at a previous post by you and as far as I can see I'm still under the bookmark size limit.
void
Developer

Post by void »

menu_items_per_column is currently broken when using bookmark folders.
It causes the menu to use the whole screen.

I will have a fix in the next alpha update.

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

For now, please try disabling menu_items_per_column and store your bookmarks in folders:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /menu_items_per_column=0
    If successful, menu_items_per_column=0 is shown in the status bar for a few seconds.
You are most likely under the 11000 bookmark limit.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, I'll toddle along with it until the next update, I'll just be careful where I enter new bookmarks.

Hopefully, when bookmarks side bar is implemented it will solve a lot of the problems I have with the bookmark pop up window.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1284a fixes an issue with menu_items_per_column when using bookmark folders.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I'm still having the problem of when I add a bookmark above my folders the pop-up shrinks to two columns.
I'm having to add new bookmarks below the directories list.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Could you please send me your Bookmarks.csv and Everything.ini:
  • Add a bookmark above your folders so the popup shrinks to two columns.
  • Please send your bookmarks.csv in %APPDATA%\Everything to support@voidtools.com
  • Please send your Everything.ini in %APPDATA%\Everything to support@voidtools.com
    (If you are using an named instance, please send the files with -<instance-name> in the filename)
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I tried experimenting with just using one column so that the bookmark window doesn't completely cover the search window (with three columns) but I'm not over keen on having to scroll down at the bottom.

Is it possible to have an option to be able to show each column individually, possibly a pointer on the column to click to show the next column?
void
Developer

Post by void »

What about using a single column and splitting your bookmarks into a few folders?

For example:
A-I
J-R
S-Z

or try adding a More folder at the end after about 50 items.

For example:

item1
item2
item3
item50
More -> item 51
item 52
item 53