Minimize window on execute

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
w527274

Minimize window on execute

Post by w527274 »

Hi,
Do you think it would be possible to add a "Minimize window on execute" option to Result section of options?
It would come handy when one is not sure of the exact filename and needs to open more of them until selecting the the right one.
Best regards,
w527274
therube

Re: Minimize window on execute

Post by therube »

Everything.ini.
close_on_execute

Close the Everything search window after executing an item. Set to 1 to close after executing. Set to 0 to keep the window open after executing.
And I think you can do that from the Everything searchbar, type in, /close_on_execute=1 & you should see confirmation for a moment on the statusbar.
TRILLOGY

Post by TRILLOGY »

And I think you can do that from the Everything searchbar, type in, /close_on_execute=1 & you should see confirmation for a moment on the statusbar.
Any plans to add a Minimize on Execute option in addition to the Close on Execute one? Minimize on Execute is quite different and I would love to see it added. Like OP said, there are often times when you want to leave the search results open in the background while you hunt around. Minimizing on Execute does just that while respecting screen space. My laptop needs this where my desktop with multi-monitor setup does not since I mostly leave Everything's search window open on one of my screens and have executed search results open to another screen area.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

TRILLOGY wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:55 pm
Any plans to add a Minimize on Execute option in addition to the Close on Execute one? Minimize on Execute is quite different and I would love to see it added. Like OP said, there are often times when you want to leave the search results open in the background while you hunt around. Minimizing on Execute does just that while respecting screen space. My laptop needs this where my desktop with multi-monitor setup does not since I mostly leave Everything's search window open on one of my screens and have executed search results open to another screen area.
There is an INI setting minimize_on_close. That does exactly that (but it does so every time you close Everything).

To activate, type the following in the Everything search bar and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

/minimize_on_close=1
To de-actibvate and restore the default:

Code: Select all

/minimize_on_close=0
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1287a adds a minimize_on_close ini setting.

To enable minimize on close:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER
    /close_on_execute=0
  • If successful, close_on_execute=0 is shown in the statusbar for a few seconds.
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER
    /minimize_on_execute=1
  • If successful, minimize_on_execute=1 is shown in the statusbar for a few seconds.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I didn't know about minimise on execute..it sort of solves my problem (below) about Everything staying on top when I open files and folders but it's an all or nothing option as I don't always want the search window to close.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10673&p=40560#p40560
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Is there an easy way to toggle minimise on execute or this or should I just set a bookmark?
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have put on my TODO list to add a $close()/$minimize() function for the context menu command.

This might be helpful in your case for the open folder context menu command.

There is no easy way to toggle minimize on execute.
You could use a bookmark with the following search to toggle the option:
/minimize_on_execute=!
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

void wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:21 amYou could use a bookmark with the following search to toggle the option:
/minimize_on_execute=!
:shock: Secret unlocked! :o You do not have the use of the exclamation point (!) as a boolean toggle documented anywhere.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9994
https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/ini/
void
Developer

Post by void »

Search command: /<ini-setting-name>=<value>

! is a very new addition.

! doesn't work from the Everything.ini.
! only works when using the /ini-setting=value search command.

! might be useful in bookmarks to toggle a setting.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, the toggle command is useful.

Is there a way to execute ini related bookmarks, such as this one, directly from the bookmark entry rather then bringing up the bookmark and then pressing enter?
raccoon

Post by raccoon »

Search /commands and about: verbs are automatically executed as if you pressed the Enter key, however, the search bar is not automatically cleared. You'll have to slap the Backspace or DEL key after clicking on the bookmark. Examples:

/display_full_path_name=!
about:keys

Yes @void. Very useful for bookmarks. I diligently bookmark any hidden settings I'm trying out, as well as any settings I deem essential. I do switch in and out of display_full_path_name so this is nice.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have put on my TODO list: there needs to be a way to execute search commands from a bookmark without setting the search.

Thanks for the suggestion.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

@void Would it be possible, when running an ini function from bookmarks to automatically clear any existing entry in the search box...at the moment it appends it.

@raccoon, thanks, I didn't realise it did that.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Yes, I am working on a solution.

For now, please right click the bookmark and click Open (I assume you have set append as your default)
void
Developer

Post by void »

Opening bookmarks in Everything 1.5.0.1290a will now execute any search commands without setting the search.

Everything 1.5.0.1290a adds the $close() and $minimize() context menu commands.

This might be useful to minimize Everything when opening folders or files only.
To add $close() or $minimize() to your context menu command:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Context Menu tab on the left.
  • Select a context menu item
  • Add $close() or $minimize() to the end of the command.
    For example: $exec("%1")$close()
  • Click OK.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

I have added $minimize() to open path and explore path...Would it be possible to enable this only when multiple results are open?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, no.

I will consider an option to minimize when opening multiple folders.

Thank you for the suggestion.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, another thought...the $close() and $minimize() options to open or explore path work both from the context menu and the file menu.

Would it be possible to have a choice of, for instance, opening a path from the file menu not minimising or closing but only operating when used from the context menu?
void
Developer

Post by void »

Currently, no.

I have plans to add more customization to the context menu which may make this possible in a future release.
harryray2

Post by harryray2 »

Thanks, it will be nice to have the option as I don't always want the window closed/minimised each time
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1291a fixes an issue with $close() and $minimize() executing any passed parameter.