[Solved] Is there any option to lock window size?

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
w64bit

[Solved] Is there any option to lock window size?

Post by w64bit »

Is there any option to lock window size?
Last edited by w64bit on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Is there any option to lock window size?

Post by therube »

Depending on just what you're looking to do... you might be able to automate something.
nircmd.exe win setsize title "Everything" 100 100 800 600

Automating, you could set any new startup of Everything to open at some preset (window) size (regardless of what intervening actions may have occurred while working in Everything).
(100 100 800 600 relates to, x, y, width, height)

NirCmd is a small command-line utility that allows you to do some useful tasks without displaying any user interface. By running NirCmd with simple command-line option, you can write and delete values and keys in the Registry, write values into INI file, dial to your internet account or connect to a VPN network, restart windows or shut down the computer, create shortcut to a file, change the created/modified date of a file, change your display settings, turn off your monitor, open the door of your CD-ROM drive, and more...
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

w64bit wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:07 pm Is there any option to lock window size?
Do you mean to set the size (and position?) when Everything is started? That is possible, even without using 3rd-party tools.

If you want the size being fixed during the use ofEverything, I am not aware of such an option (other than running Everything full screen (press F11 to toggle)) or writing a complex script in 3rd-party tools like AutoHotKey).
void
Developer

Post by void »

I have put on my TODO list to add an option to disable window resizing.

Would an option to save the window position and restore the window position be useful here?

There's already Alt + 1, Alt + 2 and Alt + 3

To customize the height and window ratio, please see:
auto_size_1, auto_size_2 and auto_size_3
auto_size_aspect_ratio_x and auto_size_aspect_ratio_y
void
Developer

Post by void »

To lock window resizing with Everything 1.5.0.1257a or later:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /window_style_remove=0x40000
  • If successful, you should see window_style_remove=0x00040000 in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • Close and reopen the Everything Search window.
    ---You will no longer be able to resize the Everything window.---
To unlock window resizing:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /window_style_remove=
  • If successful, you should see window_style_remove=0x00000000 in the status bar for a few seconds.
  • Close and reopen the Everything Search window.
    ---You will be able to resize the Everything window again.---
skribb

Post by skribb »

void wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:07 am
Would an option to save the window position and restore the window position be useful here?

I came here today because i was looking for this. Noticed that Everything will launch on the monitor where the mouse cursor is currently located but I want Everything to always show in a specific monitor.

I can easily circumvent this with AutoHotkey or ActualWindowManager, but it delays the window being drawn with like 500ms-1s :D
NotNull

Re: [Solved] Is there any option to lock window size?

Post by NotNull »

skribb wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:01 pm I want Everything to always show in a specific monitor.
There is an app setting for that!

See this discussion and/or show_window_on_monitor_from_cursor.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

I can easily circumvent this with AutoHotkey or ActualWindowManager
if you only knew how hard i wish to abandon the ActualWindowManager program (i'm still using the good 7.0 version from march of 2012) in favor of brilliant ahk-scripting

but this dream is extremely complex and full of absolutely various difficult/not easy/nearly insurmountable/easy nuances/tasks
this is mostly because it is related to big number of programs, their main windows, their numerous sub-windows, even some separate files (with the definite path-name or sometimes sans it), and even some system windows/sub-windows
(so it's not about just the ET program)

and i highly doubt that some ahk-script is capable of substituting the awm-program (both technically and visually)
by saying 'visually' i mean that there should not be any kind of new delays or variuos graphical glitches/flickerings

yes, ActualWindowManager allows to do hundreds of tiny/small/big/huge useful things
i had been using this program since 2009 (since the version 5.3 iirc)

i have circa 100 window rules there
each of those window rules contains dozens of additional inner rules

(my screen is 1920-1200) for main window of ET 1.4 i have:
- target window > window class - EVERYTHING, window caption - [disabled], program - \Everything.exe
- startup > change caption to: [empty line]
- startup > resize: 1899-1209
- startup > align: top-left, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - 588 pixels
- startup > stay always-on-top: always
- startup > change standard window parts: resizable frame - remove, title bar's icon and buttons - remove
- startup > block premature appearance of window: yes
- position > align at startup to: top-left, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - 588 pixels
- size > at startup to: width 1899, height 1209
- size > fix minimal size to: width 1899, height 1209
- size > fix maximal size to: width 1899, height 1209
- title buttons > stay always-on-top: yes [it's the only visible button] [other 17 possible actions are disabled]
- window menu > stay always-on-top: yes [other 17 possible actions are disabled]

for 'Advanced Search' sub-window of ET 1.4 i have:
- target window > window class - #32770, window caption - Advanced Search [exact match], program - \Everything.exe
- startup > resize: 700-1223
- startup > align: top-center, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - -5 pixels

- position > align at startup to: top-center, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - -5 pixels
- size > at startup to: width 700, height 1223
- size > fix minimal size to: width 700, height 1223
- size > fix maximal size to: [disabled]

for 'Organize Bookmarks' sub-window of ET 1.4 i have:
- target window > window class - #32770, window caption - Organize Bookmarks [exact match], program - \Everything.exe
- startup > resize: 370-1223
- startup > align: top-center, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - -5 pixels

- position > align at startup to: top-center, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - -5 pixels
- size > at startup to: width 370, height 1223
- size > fix minimal size to: width 370, height 1223

but it delays the window being drawn with like 500ms-1s
it's probably that very aspect which makes me use the awm-program constantly (year by year) without a tiniest intermission (it is always launched and working in the background: consuming 2380 kb of ram, writing 348 bytes during weeks/months, and no gui is visible unless it is needed)

it's difficult to describe the highest level of conveniency when, for example, a window appears with all its parts already drawn (sans delays or other negative things), and very frequently: with some keystrokes/macros already auto-pressed

(speaking about that awm-program) there are also the sad things like: it's not freeware, it requires installation, its gui is not perfect, the exe-process should always be present in task manager, the program must be added to the system auto-load list, all numerous newer (especially newest) versions are just bad and hardly usable
skribb

Post by skribb »

adamantine wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:39 pm
I can easily circumvent this with AutoHotkey or ActualWindowManager
if you only knew how hard i wish to abandon the ActualWindowManager program (i'm still using the good 7.0 version from march of 2012) in favor of brilliant ahk-scripting

but this dream is extremely complex and full of absolutely various difficult/not easy/nearly insurmountable/easy nuances/tasks
this is mostly because it is related to big number of programs, their main windows, their numerous sub-windows, even some separate files (with the definite path-name or sometimes sans it), and even some system windows/sub-windows
(so it's not about just the ET program)

and i highly doubt that some ahk-script is capable of substituting the awm-program (both technically and visually)
by saying 'visually' i mean that there should not be any kind of new delays or variuos graphical glitches/flickerings

yes, ActualWindowManager allows to do hundreds of tiny/small/big/huge useful things
i had been using this program since 2009 (since the version 5.3 iirc)

i have circa 100 window rules there
each of those window rules contains dozens of additional inner rules

(my screen is 1920-1200) for main window of ET 1.4 i have:
- target window > window class - EVERYTHING, window caption - [disabled], program - \Everything.exe
- startup > change caption to: [empty line]
- startup > resize: 1899-1209
- startup > align: top-left, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - 588 pixels
- startup > stay always-on-top: always
- startup > change standard window parts: resizable frame - remove, title bar's icon and buttons - remove
- position > align at startup to: top-left, horizontal shift - 0 pixel, vertical shift - 588 pixels
- size > at startup to: width 1899, height 1209
- size > fix minimal size to: width 1899, height 1209
- size > fix maximal size to: width 1899, height 1209
- title buttons > stay always-on-top: yes [it's the only visible button] [other 17 possible actions are disabled]
- window menu > stay always-on-top: yes [other 17 possible actions are disabled]

for 'Advanced Search' sub-window of ET 1.4 i have:
- target window > window class - #32770, window caption - Advanced Search [exact match], program - \Everything.exe
- startup > resize: 700-1223

- size > at startup to: width 700, height 1223
- size > fix minimal size to: width 700, height 1223

for 'Organize Bookmarks' sub-window of ET 1.4 i have:
- target window > window class - #32770, window caption - Organize Bookmarks [exact match], program - \Everything.exe
- startup > resize: 370-1223

- size > at startup to: width 370, height 1223
- size > fix minimal size to: width 370, height 1223

but it delays the window being drawn with like 500ms-1s
it's probably that very aspect which makes me use the awm-program constantly (year by year) without a tiniest intermission (it is always launched and working in the background: consuming 2380 kb of ram, writing 348 bytes during weeks/months, and no gui is visible unless it is needed)

it's difficult to describe the highest level of conveniency when, for example, a window appears with all its parts already drawn (sans delays or other negative things), and very frequently: with some keystrokes/macros already auto-pressed

(speaking about that awm-program) there are also the sad things like: it's not freeware, it requires installation, its gui is not perfect, the exe-process should always be present in task manager, the program must be added to the system auto-load list, all numerous newer (especially newest) versions are just bad and hardly usable
that's a brutal rundown!

Why are the newer AWM bad? I use 8.6.2
skribb

Post by skribb »

NotNull wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:09 pm
skribb wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:01 pm I want Everything to always show in a specific monitor.
There is an app setting for that!

See this discussion and/or show_window_on_monitor_from_cursor.
thanks!!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1260a adds the following command line options:

-x <x>
-y <y>
-width <width>
-height <height>

Use -x <x> -y <y> -width <width> -height <height> to set the window position and size in screen coordinates.

For example:

Everything.exe -x 200 -y 200 -width 640 -height 480
Everything.exe -width 800 -height 600
Everything.exe -x 2000 -y 200
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Another way would be to use the new -add-config command-line option.

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -add-config "c:\path to\position.ini"
Position.ini

Code: Select all

[Everything]
window_x=200
window_y=200
window_wide=640
window_high=480