Everything keeps on showing "Updating database..." after starting it, nothing else seems to happen

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
Biff

Everything keeps on showing "Updating database..." after starting it, nothing else seems to happen

Post by Biff »

Everything keeps on showing "Updating database..." after starting it, nothing else seems to happen:

The last time I closed it with the Task Manager. How could I make it work again?
void
Developer

Re: Everything keeps on showing "Updating database..." after starting it, nothing else seems to happen

Post by void »

Everything should eventually finish updating, depending on the number of changes it might be faster to completely rebuild in the Everything index.

Please try closing Everything, deleting your Everything.db and restarting Everything:
  • Make sure Everything is not running:
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug
  • Close the debug console window.
  • This will force Everything to close.
  • Delete your %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.db file.
  • Restart Everything.
Biff

Re: Everything keeps on showing "Updating database..." after starting it, nothing else seems to happen

Post by Biff »

Thank you very much!

I guess, this will remove all of the data of my external drives.
Everything should eventually finish updating, depending on the number of changes it might be faster to completely rebuild in the Everything index.
Yes, may be there was not a defect but it just lasted extremely long, much longer it normally lasts, an hour or much longer than an hour, do not remember anymore. At the moment Everything seems to work like usual.
void
Developer

Post by void »

A couple reasons I've notice for the really long Updating database...
  • Windows Updates.
  • Modifying attributes, such as removing the Indexing attribute from all files on a volume.
Biff

Post by Biff »

So while a Win update is running Everything might run slowly? I would think, a Win update does not last that long to make Everything slow for such a long time.
Modifying attributes, such as removing the Indexing attribute from all files on a volume.
I hadn't initiallized that by intention.