Memory leak in the Everything Service since 1364a

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
void
Developer

Memory leak in the Everything Service since 1364a

Post by void »

I am working on a fix.
SuperDude

Re: Memory leak in the Everything Service since 1364a

Post by SuperDude »

I was wondering while the Everything Service was using up all of my PC's memory. I'm having other problems with my computer currently, so I thought the Everything Service, which usually uses 2-3 MB of RAM, suddenly started using 10 GB, on top of the memory used by my indexed properties.

One problem I am facing is Everything silently crashes and exits after a few minutes while indexing properties. However, if I pause indexing, Everything doesn't crash. If I then resume indexing, Everything runs for a few minutes, then silently crashes and exits.

I ran Everything, using my current Everything-1.5a.ini file, in a VMWare virtual machine - Everything was able to successfully index both standard file/folder properties, and file contents. I let it continue running in the VM for nearly an hour. It didn't crash, so I'm stumped.

BTW: Everything v1.5 Build 1365a [x64] also has the memory leak, and it also crashes just like Build 1364a [x64].
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything 1.5.0.1366a fixes the memory leak in the Everything Service.

Sorry about the memory leak in 1364 and 1365.
I need to spend more time testing things my end..

The Everything Service was not releasing a buffer when reading file changes.
Each file change would allocate a 64K buffer.

The leak should no longer occur in 1366a.
The Everything Service should only use about 1MB of RAM with no noticeable CPU usage.
The Everything Service will use ~10 MB of RAM when indexing.
Please let me know if you see the Everything Service using more than 1MB or RAM when Everything is not indexing.

Everything Alpha is eating the memory starting with the 1364 version
tuska

Post by tuska »

void wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:32 am Everything 1.5.0.1366a fixes the memory leak in the Everything Service.
The Everything Service should only use about 1MB of RAM with no noticeable CPU usage.
The Everything Service will use ~10 MB of RAM when indexing.
Please let me know if you see the Everything Service using more than 1MB or RAM when Everything is not indexing.
Thank you for the prompt fix! :)

With version 1.5.0.1366a, the memory consumption for the Everything Service remains constant
between 1.2 MB and 1.7 MB on my PC (and is NOT continuously increased anymore).