[Suggestion] Add command-line "-config <filename>" equivalents for Filters, Bookmarks & Plugins

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
GSD

[Suggestion] Add command-line "-config <filename>" equivalents for Filters, Bookmarks & Plugins

Post by GSD »

I'm mainly interested in Filters, but I guess if you add one it makes sense to add the rest as well. This would facilitate sharing Filters.csv between instances.

Something like:

Code: Select all

Everything64.exe -instance "EXAMPLE" -config Test-config.ini -filters-file Test-filters.csv -bookmarks-file Test-Bookmarks.csv -plugins-file Test-Plugins.ini
Thank you!
void
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Add command-line "-config <filename>" equivalents for Filters, Bookmarks & Plugins

Post by void »

I will consider the option to specify the bookmarks/filters .csv file.

The main concern is how to sync this file between multiple instances.
Changes will be lost if you make a change in another instance.
The file will likely have to be made read-only.

Thank you for the suggestion.
GSD

Re: [Suggestion] Add command-line "-config <filename>" equivalents for Filters, Bookmarks & Plugins

Post by GSD »

To be honest, I'm personally interested precisely in combining these options with the "read-only" option I'm suggesting here viewtopic.php?t=13347. However, barring the use of that "-ro" command, should you choose to implement such a thing, I could see these getting handled like you are curently handling the "-config" option, which, I presume, is to keep Everything's standard behavior of saving the settings file on each window close. Correct?
void
Developer

Post by void »

is to keep Everything's standard behavior of saving the settings file on each window close. Correct?
Everything will only save your filters/bookmarks if modified.

One idea is to use a hard link with other instances to access the same filter/bookmark csv file.
GSD

Post by GSD »

void wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:41 am Everything will only save your filters/bookmarks if modified.
Ah, that makes sense. And I see what you mean about sync between multiple instances. Either they are read-only or the user would have to be aware that modifying filters/bookmarks is akin to manually editing the respective files and requires restarting the other instances in order for the changes to apply(I presume that Everything is not monitoring those real-time). This didn't occur to me beacause, in my thinking, it was all combined with that read-only parameter I'm proposing in my other post. Perhaps I should have combined my two suggestions. Symlinks did occur to me, but they wouldn't help with what I'm trying to achieve, which is to create on-the-fly, read-only, temporary instances based on existing instance configs as templates.

However, regarding stricly this suggestion, perhaps equivalents that do for filters/bookmarks what "-add-config <filename>" does for the main config would be better suited:

Code: Select all

Everything64.exe -instance "TEMP" -add-config "Everything-music.ini" -add-filters "Filters-music.csv" -add-bookmarks "Bookmarks-music.csv"
Now that I think about it, this is 100% what I should have suggested to begin with. Sorry about that.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Unfortunately, -add-filters and -add-bookmarks wouldn't work because Everything allows duplicated filter/bookmark names.

Everything automatically renames duplicated filter names.
-add-filters / -add-bookmarks would always append to your existing filters/bookmarks.
Never overwriting them which is expected.

Perhaps a -set-filters / -set-bookmarks or -copy-filters / -copy-bookmarks command line option will work..
I will consider such options.
GSD

Post by GSD »

void wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:27 am Unfortunately, -add-filters and -add-bookmarks wouldn't work because Everything allows duplicated filter/bookmark names.

Everything automatically renames duplicated filter names.
-add-filters / -add-bookmarks would always append to your existing filters/bookmarks.
Never overwriting them which is expected.
Got it!
void wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:27 am Perhaps a -set-filters / -set-bookmarks or -copy-filters / -copy-bookmarks command line option will work..
I will consider such options.
I asked about -add-filters and -add-bookmarks in reference to the existing -add-config, but what I'm actually after is what -set/-copy would imply semantically. So those would be excellent. Thank you, Sir!