Can we get a content view please

Discussion related to "Everything" 1.5 Alpha.
Ralf_Reddings

Can we get a content view please

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

So for the past few weeks I have been executing a plan I have had for some time now: Eliminate many of these low performant, often unmaintained tools and replace them with Everything.

This is not so far fetched, many of them already use everything as their backend. Take, Keypirinnha, a launcher for opening files and folders.

Its written in Python. Its very slow it will not track the file system for changes. You have to restart the software for this. It also has not been updated since 2020, Changelog

Not to pick on Keypirinha, it has been useful to me for years, the above pattern applies to a few tools/software's and it has proven to be frustrating.

Everything 1.5 has come a long way since its first alpha release. Looking at the upcoming planned features, it will only get better.

One thing that is stopping me is the lack of a content view, Everything already has a details and a thumbnail view. Outside of Everything, I use content view all the time. Its the perfect meeting point of thumbnail and details view.

One program that does content view really well is Directory Opus (The main program I want to replace with everything).
It lets you decide, which properties to show when in content view, in this example its set to show
Extension
Dimensions
and
File Size
(THIS page show the list of properties one can use):

I have set it so that If the window is wide enough it will show two columns:

Here is explorer as well, you can quickly see what file is what, yet also have a few critical properties beside them:

One of the biggest reasons why I want content view is to get a view that is very common in command bar launchers such as Keypirinha:

You get the thumbnail on the side, but all the items are in a single column, often showing one or more properties as well:

The details view icon is shared between files with similar extension but with a thumbnail the users speed greatly improves, to just be able to look at the thumbnail for context and then pressing down Nth times would be really useful

Everything already lets you change the thumbnail for files via
property_user_values=
, which would make a content view extremely usefull.

Please consider this feature and thank you for Everything. It has made using my computer a delight
NotNull

Re: Can we get a content view please

Post by NotNull »

Ralf_Reddings

Re: Can we get a content view please

Post by Ralf_Reddings »

NotNull wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:01 pm See also viewtopic.php?t=12638 and viewtopic.php?t=8601
Ahh, You was way ahead of me! Your proposed use cases are some of my mine as well. I hope we finally get it in Everything 1.5

Thanks for the link, I learnt quite a bit there as well!