Add Check boxes to enhance "Exclude Folders" List

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
dgbear

Add Check boxes to enhance "Exclude Folders" List

Post by dgbear »

The exclude folders list is an excellent feature of everything.
This option allows the user to omit folders like $Recycle.Bin, C:\Users\*\AppData\roaming\microsoft, etc.

The enhancement request to make it easier to change the list once all the respective folders have been added.
The "Enable Exclude List" check box makes it easy to exclude all folder, but there is no option to enable/disable individual folders.
The proposed features is to add a checkbox next to each folder entry line as shown in the mochup picture.

meteorquake

Re: Add Check boxes to enhance "Exclude Folders" List

Post by meteorquake »

One alternative suggestion if it's just as viable for the requester is to have a prefix character that disables a folder, thus
C:\MyPath\
would be active but
:C:\MyPath\
could be inactive.
that would assume the folders could be entered as plain lines in a simple textarea box which would also make copying and updating the contents much easier, and the text wrap would make the lines fully visible too.
d
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Everything 1.5 - the alpha version is available for testing - introduces a new feature: Temporary Excludes.
That already does what uyou describe :) :

2022-02-17 21_32_43-Temporary Excludes.png
2022-02-17 21_32_43-Temporary Excludes.png (10.75 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
dgbear

Post by dgbear »

Wow... there's a lot of great new features in that beta!

How do you change the order of the entries in the list once it's created?
I tried to export, change the order and then import, but was unable to make this work.

I assume it is ordered by the "date added" column, but was unable to figure out the syntax.
I tried using excel - no luck. I also tried pasting in different LDAP timestamp entries. Nothing seemed to change the order.

I also noted the overall search engine was not as responsive at finding changes?

Do you have any suggestions on a default configuration that would yield indexing response times similar to the standard release?

Thanks in advance
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

dgbear wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:26 pm How do you change the order of the entries in the list once it's created?
You can't. You just can sort them by Filename, Type or Date Added (click the header of the list to change the sort)

dgbear wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:26 pm I also noted the overall search engine was not as responsive at finding changes?

Do you have any suggestions on a default configuration that would yield indexing response times similar to the standard release?
It should be equally responsive, more or less. Both 'databases' run in parallel: one for the temporary excludes and one for the "normal" files.
That's the theory, at least :)

Everything might be busy in the background updating it's indexes to the new situation. Try again later today to see if it still feels less responsive. You might have found a real issue (it's still an alpha release, after all)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I also noted the overall search engine was not as responsive at finding changes?
Everything 1.5 should be much faster at searching and indexing than Everything 1.4.

Everything 1.5 might be indexing more files.
Check the total number of items in Everything 1.5 vs Everything 1.4.

Try disabling Tools -> Options -> View -> Show total size in the status bar.
Make sure no search options are checked under the Search menu.
Try sorting by Name ascending and then searching.

There is a very small performance hit when enabling Temporarily excludes.
Please try with Temporarily excludes disabled.

If you are still experiencing performance issues:
  • In Everything 1.5, from the Tools menu, under the Debug submenu, click Console.
  • Perform a search.
  • What is shown in the debug console?
    -Right click the debug console window caption bar and under the Edit menu, click Select All.
    -Right click the selected text to copy it to the clipboard.
yfdyh000

Post by yfdyh000 »

An additional exclusion would be nice, but I'd still expect to allow more exclusion profiles to be configured if this is feasible. This will allow for things like: all files (for troubleshooting), excluding temporary files (for everyday use), excluding private files (for export or demo), and so on.
A checkbox for each exclusion rule will avoid writing a memo for disables.

I noticed that the Temporary Excludes supports import and export, so just need a drop-down box/submenu to switch profiles. Also, it would be better if Settings - Exclude support the import/export or copy-paste.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The temporarily exclude list can be toggled on/off for quick access to all files.

excluding private files (for export or demo), and so on.
Using a named instance is recommended.

I will consider temporarily exclude groups and profiles.

Thank you for the suggestions.
dgbear

Post by dgbear »

void wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:14 am
Everything 1.5 should be much faster at searching and indexing than Everything 1.4.

Everything 1.5 might be indexing more files.
Check the total number of items in Everything 1.5 vs Everything 1.4.
I found my issue.
My concern that 1.5 was taking longer to index and was missing files (as 1.5 was not showing some files there were present in v1.4)
Once I sorted out the configuration problem the files matched.
Sorry for any confusion.